6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My uber rare 1966 GMC Suburban Discovery (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49134)

bigblockv6 December 3rd, 2015 04:52 PM

Re: My uber rare 1966 GMC Suburban Discovery

The PowerFlow Transmission as GMC called did use the support rods like the Turbo 400.

GMC Guy December 3rd, 2015 05:57 PM

Looks like the truck also has an accessory 4-way flasher box with knob hanging down under the steering column.

GMCNUT December 3rd, 2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 60025)
Question on the powerglide setup; does it use support rods like the Turbo 400 setup?

From what I have been able to tell, the support rods seem to be West-coast assembly plant related; so far of the 4 or 5 Powerflow automatic GMC's I've owned none have had the support rods and the two others with the T400 didn't either. So anyway, I am not sure but guessing this Suburban was built in Atlanta or somewhere nearby, and thus it does not have the supports. So far I have only seen those on Western trucks anyway

GMCNUT December 3rd, 2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMC Guy (Post 60027)
Looks like the truck also has an accessory 4-way flasher box with knob hanging down under the steering column.

yeah, the 4 way hazard switch is complete but Nathan said it does not seem to work, so he provided me with a replacement switch to put in there so I'll get that dangling original one taken down and replaced with the new one

GMCNUT December 3rd, 2015 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culver Adams (Post 60022)
GMCNUT, you just got yourself a dealer's showroom demo Suburban. I'll be surprised if it has many more miles than the ebay sale price. You must be living right. Congratulations. I'll be one of many parked on the edge of my seat awaiting your next post on this baby. :thumbsup:

Culver Adams
Minneapolis, MN
1961 GMC K1500

Thank you Culver - I have wanted a GMC Suburban decked out to the gills with cool accessory stuff for years and never found one exactly like I wanted until now. As for the miles, it has 80 something thousand original miles on it, so not unbelievably low, but low for the trucks age for sure....80K is nothing to a V6!

GMCNUT December 3rd, 2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culver Adams (Post 60022)
GMCNUT, you just got yourself a dealer's showroom demo Suburban. I'll be surprised if it has many more miles than the ebay sale price. You must be living right. Congratulations. I'll be one of many parked on the edge of my seat awaiting your next post on this baby. :thumbsup:

Culver Adams
Minneapolis, MN
1961 GMC K1500

you know, you might actually be onto something with that comment about the showroom demo - this truck was bought new in Jan 1967 so I wonder if it was used by the dealership like you suggest as a means of showing installed options for truck and suburban buyers alike. Interesting thought anyway

GMCNUT December 3rd, 2015 06:18 PM

I just checked the Protect-o-plate and there is no customer name on it - only the VIN, 351E engine CID, and rear axle ratio 3:54. So does anyone know if this means it was ordered by the dealership as stock or is it indicative that it might well have been ordered to be used as a demo? I've never seen a protect-o-plate that didn't have the original buyers' name and address stamped in it, but I have not seen many GMC plates, so maybe only Chevy did that? Ed Snyder or Pete will know this probably....

FetchMeAPepsi December 3rd, 2015 08:44 PM

WOW now that's a find GMCNUT! Thanks for the pics. I'm grinnin ear to ear for ya over here!
No one deserves it more, amigo. Excellent survivor! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

bigblockv6 December 3rd, 2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 60032)
I just checked the Protect-o-plate and there is no customer name on it - only the VIN, 351E engine CID, and rear axle ratio 3:54. So does anyone know if this means it was ordered by the dealership as stock or is it indicative that it might well have been ordered to be used as a demo? I've never seen a protect-o-plate that didn't have the original buyers' name and address stamped in it, but I have not seen many GMC plates, so maybe only Chevy did that? Ed Snyder or Pete will know this probably....

GMCNUT, soon as I dig up the Protect-o-Plate to my 68 I'll let you know what's on it.:ok:

GMCDAC December 4th, 2015 01:28 AM

Wonderful GMC, Steve. Congratulations!

DAC