6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Spun a rod bearing (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49856)

hubarlow January 21st, 2017 11:12 PM

Spun a rod bearing

Not 100 percent certain, but I think I spun a rod bearing or there is a wrist pin knock in my 305. Where is a good place to get the parts I need? It looks like the local parts store can get me a pan gasket and the bearings, but I would like to change out the oil pump and see if I need lifters replaced. Looking for a source for ALL my engine parts. If it is a wrist pin, I would possibly need a piston, rings, and a pin. Local parts store CLAIMS to be able to get the gasket and bearings within 3 days, but I have found that claim to be false more than once on the oddball stuff I deal with.

bigblockv6 January 21st, 2017 11:27 PM

Re: Spun a rod bearing

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubarlow (Post 66019)
Not 100 percent certain, but I think I spun a rod bearing or there is a wrist pin knock in my 305. Where is a good place to get the parts I need? It looks like the local parts store can get me a pan gasket and the bearings, but I would like to change out the oil pump and see if I need lifters replaced. Looking for a source for ALL my engine parts. If it is a wrist pin, I would possibly need a piston, rings, and a pin. Local parts store CLAIMS to be able to get the gasket and bearings within 3 days, but I have found that claim to be false more than once on the oddball stuff I deal with.

You may want to try ebay, I've seen piston pins and bearings on there. If you really need lifters those are interchangeable with solid lifters from the Chevrolet 235 inline six:thumbsup:

TJ's GMC January 21st, 2017 11:33 PM

You can get the gaskets, oil pump, and rod bearings from O'reillys. Main bearings have to be purchased through Ebay.

hubarlow January 22nd, 2017 05:13 AM

Thanks, guys. Have to check it out tomorrow and see what I need.

kchampagne January 22nd, 2017 04:05 PM

Try calling these guys: https://egge.com/. I just rebuilt the entire low end and they had everything except mains.

For main bearings, intake valves, and cam shaft you will have to find NOS on eBay. I found most of the other head rebuild parts on Rockauto. To my knowledge, NOS replacement crankshaft and pistons are non-existent. I think there are places that can build you a set of pistons, but extremely expensive. I would try to resurface the journals on your crankshaft and reuse your pistons and install new rings.

The gasket set is FEL-PRO HS7961SB1 (minus rear main seal, oil pan gasket and timing cover gasket). I got mine on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Fel-Pro-Hs796...-PRO+HS7961SB1. Rear main seal is FEL-PRO BS 40048. Oil pan gasket is FEL-PRO OS 34404 C. Timing cover gasket is: FEL-PRO TCS 12937.

I recommend finding a spare 305 engine to keep around in case you need parts. I have 2 right now!

hubarlow January 22nd, 2017 04:51 PM

Thanks for the information. It will come in handy.

George Bongert January 22nd, 2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubarlow (Post 66019)

Greetings hubarlow!

If you spun a rod bearing, I'm afraid you are in for a little more than a pan gasket and bearings. More than likely, the connecting rod will have to be re-furbished, or replaced, depending upon how much damage was done by the spun bearing, and, you will have to have the crankshaft re-ground, since a spun bearing damages both. I hate to be the bearer of news like this, but I have seen badly scored connecting rods resulting from spun bearings, and some pretty serious crankshaft damage as well. I hope that it IS NOT as serious as you think it may be.

hubarlow January 23rd, 2017 04:27 AM

George: This is not my first rodeo. I know the sound a spun rod bearing makes and stopped driving the truck before major damage was done (I hope). In any case, I was thinking about doing a full tear down and rebuild just because you never know what little surprises are in store with a 50 + year old engine. This just gives me an excuse. You never know, it COULD be something else (like a loose pressure plate or something). My buddy replaced the transmission about a year ago, and I have NO IDEA if he torqued the bolts down on the pressure plate or not. He is a Golf Cart mechanic, and some auto repairs are just a bit out of his league (He calls me frequently for advice).

George Bongert January 23rd, 2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubarlow (Post 66053)
George: This is not my first rodeo. I know the sound a spun rod bearing makes and stopped driving the truck before major damage was done (I hope). In any case, I was thinking about doing a full tear down and rebuild just because you never know what little surprises are in store with a 50 + year old engine. This just gives me an excuse. You never know, it COULD be something else (like a loose pressure plate or something). My buddy replaced the transmission about a year ago, and I have NO IDEA if he torqued the bolts down on the pressure plate or not. He is a Golf Cart mechanic, and some auto repairs are just a bit out of his league (He calls me frequently for advice).

Greetings again hubarlow!

I didn't figure it was your first rodeo, and if I insulted your intelligence, I apologize. It's just that sometimes it doesn't take very much to do more damage than one anticipates.

hubarlow January 24th, 2017 04:10 AM

George: No insult taken and none intended in my response. Thanks for the advice and words of warning. Just hoping for the best, but I truly DO have "the luck of the Irish." Read Irish history to understand what I am talking about. Irish luck is just surviving all the crap that is supposed to KILL you.
;-)