6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   64 Custom 2500 update! Factory Wheels and caps on! (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47544)

GMCNUT May 21st, 2013 08:26 PM

64 Custom 2500 update! Factory Wheels and caps on!

4 Attachment(s)
Hey guys - I am so happy - I finally got some new Coker 6.50 x 17 bias-ply tires put on the newly powder-coated factory 17" split rims and now my factory hubcaps are again reunited with the truck after being removed back in 1967.
Thankfully the 2nd owner saved the caps all these years in dry storage, so they nearly look NOS and cleaned up nicely. Putting the original tires, wheels and caps on this old bird sure did help its appearance a lot in my opinion - wondering what you guys think? Not too many people go through the pain and effort much less expense to save and continue using the factory split rims on 2500's, so I think its cool to preserve a little history by going through all that effort...let me know what you think!

Steve

FetchMeAPepsi May 21st, 2013 08:48 PM

Re: 64 Custom 2500 update! Factory Wheels and caps on!

Good job that looks sharp! Do you mind sharing what the powdercoating cost you on the wheels?
Spiffing up the side V6 decals would really set them off too.

6066gmcguy May 21st, 2013 09:18 PM

nice!

pasadenajim May 22nd, 2013 02:33 AM

Nice look! Spiffy! Jim Hyde, Phx AZ.

GMCNUT May 23rd, 2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 48765)
Good job that looks sharp! Do you mind sharing what the powdercoating cost you on the wheels?
Spiffing up the side V6 decals would really set them off too.

yeah, these things come apart into 3 sets of 4 pieces, so the powder coating cost WAY more than I expected or wanted to pay, but like a fool I just dropped them off and said "do it" instead of asking for a quote. Won't do that again.
450.00 was what I got nailed with, and personally I think that is highway robbery, but I must say, for split rims especially , powder coating is much better than paint because they do beat the wheels to get them together so paint would be much easier to chip and mess up.

sodly August 13th, 2013 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That looks awesome! New member here but I have a '66 C20 Custom Camper with the same size, two-piece wheels (although my wheels are different than yours). I've been wondering about those Coker tires for my truck to replace the ancient skins currently on it. Can you tell me more about them and how they ride/drive/steer? I've never put "new" bias tires on a truck and wonder how they compare to radials. I know one of my other old trucks the old bias tires made it wander all over the road and I sure don't want that. But I definitely want to keep my stock, original wheels. Can you run a radial on these wheels? Does anyone make a radial that has the old tall/skinny, "pie crust" look? Any input/advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

PS: Does anyone know what the correct finish is for my lock rings? Galvanized? Painted?

sodly May 6th, 2014 08:54 PM

Hey, GMCNUT. Did you ever try buffing out that original paint or try any of the paint-preservation tips I gave you? Just curious.

bryanblock1 May 11th, 2014 08:12 PM

Rims and caps look great! Honestly $450. doesn't seem that bad considering how many pieces you had to have blasted and coated. For my one piece rims I got tagged at $90.00 per rim. Some things are just worth the price in my opinion.