6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GMC photos from history (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47474)

gmc1963 March 27th, 2013 05:50 PM

GMC photos from history

2 Attachment(s)
Post them if you got them.

gmc1963 March 27th, 2013 05:56 PM

Re: GMC photos from history

2 Attachment(s)
1960 fire truck photos

gmc1963 March 27th, 2013 05:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more 1960 fire truck

gmc1963 March 27th, 2013 06:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
last fire truck, bus and grill guide

GMCDAC March 27th, 2013 11:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've got a few GMC pics, I will post a couple that have 60-66 GMC's in them.

6066gmcguy March 28th, 2013 05:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got about 100 old GMC Toro-Flow Testimonials all with a photo on the front and the Testimonial on the back.

FetchMeAPepsi March 28th, 2013 02:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A picture thread! Now were talkin my language. I could sit here and stare at pic threads all day. Heres a few from my collection. Found all over the web. i like the red ad because of the skinny tires. I hope to put them on my truck one day
And I noticed we can upload 5 pics at a time now. Yay!

gmc1963 March 28th, 2013 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
modified suburban with 5th wheel from the us geological society

A Johnson Elevation Meter mounted in a four-wheel-drive GMC Suburban 1960 model K1001 truck. The slope angle of the road was measured by a sensitive electronic pendulum, and the distance was measured by the fifth wheel. An onboard computer solved for the difference in elevation ten times per second. In areas of moderate relief with an adequate net of relatively smooth roads, these instruments were capable of establishing elevations within 2 feet while traveling at speeds approaching 30 miles per hour.

gmc1963 March 28th, 2013 03:12 PM

10 Attachment(s)
10 more ads with 401 v12 and desel engines with numbers

gmc1963 March 28th, 2013 03:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
rest of broshure and more history pictures

gmc1963 March 28th, 2013 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
gmc trash truck

GMCDAC March 30th, 2013 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Who said electric vehicles were a new idea? GMC electric, 1913.

6066gmcguy March 30th, 2013 10:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
1955 GMC L'Univerelle

6066gmcguy March 30th, 2013 10:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
60-66 Postcards

GMCNUT March 31st, 2013 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are 3 genuine GM dealer postcards I have of 60-66 GMC's. Interestingly, I own a 1960 GMC Suburban that came factory Red and White so it was identical to the one in the postcard, and I am getting a 64 GMC on the 5th of April out of Western Kansas that looks identical to the two-tone pickup in the other postcard. I also owned a 65 GMC Suburban identical to the one in the 3rd postcard....how ironic!

fyrboy May 22nd, 2013 02:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Various 'n sundry. Enjoy.
Before 'n after on the fire truck.
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps0d7490b0.jpg

fyrboy June 1st, 2013 01:52 AM

Fire trucks on the Youngstown site: http://yngfire.com/index.php/topic,5455.0.html

Jeannie June 2nd, 2013 04:35 AM

This thread upgraded to Sticky by request.

FetchMeAPepsi July 11th, 2013 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just ran across this article for GM and GMC history. They have old truck pics so i thought id share. total of 6 pages. next ones coming...Click once to view bigger, click again to view huge.

FetchMeAPepsi July 15th, 2013 03:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I know you historical nuts have all been waiting for the next bit so here it goes. Final coming later this week.

FetchMeAPepsi July 16th, 2013 12:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Final bit of the article came in today. Disappointed it didnt include 60s trucks but its still a good historical article with good pics.

Quigley July 26th, 2013 12:36 AM

7 Attachment(s)
1966 Sales Brochure & Mag Ad

Rockdriller September 27th, 2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy (Post 48392)
1955 GMC L'Univerelle

That's thing is beautiful...
Was it ever produced.....?....or was it in concept ?

raycow September 28th, 2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockdriller (Post 50539)
That's thing is beautiful...
Was it ever produced.....?....or was it in concept ?

It was a concept vehicle exhibited at shows. However, it probably served as inspiration for the Corvair van and some of the other small vans introduced by GM, Ford and Chrysler in the early 60s.

Ray

BarryGMC September 28th, 2013 03:50 PM

I have to agree Ray. I am currently restoring a 62 corvair ramp side truck and the body shape of the front is really quite similar.

Rockdriller September 28th, 2013 11:15 PM

I found a few of them under Google Images.
In addition to the Corvair similarities, it also sports a little Nomad influence in the rear.
As pretty a "mini-van" as you could ever imagine.

GMCDAC November 14th, 2013 12:40 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, i ran across a few more pics of Don Garlits GMC Suburban. The newer one is obviously not the same one as the vintage picture. It is cool that he put a 60-61 hood on it when the new one was built though!

Later---DAC

Cayoterun November 15th, 2013 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are these Jimmy's or Chevys??

I can't trust my eyes anymore. Either way, it brings back memories of the "good ol' days" in my younger years.

I took a combine like these, but on a F*** truck up thru Ks. and Neb. in '59 and '60.

Sure was a top-heavy rascal to drive. Didn't have to worry about getting a speeding ticket.
Made you think you were in a hi-wing airplane with the combine header hanging over the cab.

Rockdriller November 15th, 2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 51056)
Are these Jimmy's or Chevys??

I can't trust my eyes anymore. Either way, it brings back memories of the "good ol' days" in my younger years.

I took a combine like these, but on a F*** truck up thru Ks. and Neb. in '59 and '60.

Sure was a top-heavy rascal to drive. Didn't have to worry about getting a speeding ticket.
Made you think you were in a hi-wing airplane with the combine header hanging over the cab.

They all look like Jimmy's to me.
I'll bet that was the "load from ****"....

Cayoterun November 15th, 2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockdriller (Post 51057)
They all look like Jimmy's to me.
I'll bet that was the "load from ****"....

Sure made this kid's knees weak loading and unloading.

That was tricky, too. A combination of raising and lower the bed, as well as the ditch you backed in had to be so-so. We used a 4 X 4 on hooks in the stake pockets so we'd have more than half of the drive wheels on the bed.

My boss sent me and another young kid with it, to haul grain to elevator when we were cutting. I sure didn't want to bring his new truck home as a modified convertible. He stayed home.

When we got home, the boss split the profits with me, and I paid cash for a '55 Chev. conv. The car cost less the $900. Wish I'd kept it. Hindsight is 20-20.

Mods: If I'm off-subject too far, please delete.

GMCDAC November 15th, 2013 11:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 51058)

That was tricky, too. A combination of raising and lower the bed, as well as the ditch you backed in had to be so-so. We used a 4 X 4 on hooks in the stake pockets so we'd have more than half of the drive wheels on the bed.

My boss sent me and another young kid with it, to haul grain to elevator when we were cutting. I sure didn't want to bring his new truck home as a modified convertible. He stayed home.

When we got home, the boss split the profits with me, and I paid cash for a '55 Chev. conv. The car cost less the $900. Wish I'd kept it. Hindsight is 20-20.

I hope they don't delete, as it is relative to the history part of this thread! Thanks for that pic. the loads probably wouldn't fly with the DOT nowadays!
Got pics of the '55?

As Rockdriller said, they are GMCs, first pic is my daily driver, a '55. Second pic is a '58 or '59 I've been getting some parts from. one of those are a few trucks back in your pic. The small pickups still shared a lot with their big brothers.

Cool pic---Thanks---DAC

Rockdriller November 16th, 2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayoterun (Post 51058)

I gotta say, the "good ol' days" were wrought with danger....
I spent my younger years hauling heavy equipment around....no reason to go into it too far....but dicey at best...a little hydraulic fluid leaked onto the deck....some rain or snow mixed in....and it was always a recipe for "rubber knees"....
I sure respect ya' for hauling that kind of a load....while you're short on sleep....sore from who-knows-what.

But....I know very little about the Agg Industry, but I know that the "Harvest Migration" , from South to North through the Heartland is very interesting.
From what I have seen, they actually "Road" their equipment quite often....all the way up north to the end sometimes.

I don't think anyone will ever "delete" a guy with the experience you have. I'm thinkin you should tell us a bit about your time in the field.

Cayoterun November 16th, 2013 03:44 AM

Rock:

I maybe should start an "ol' timers" thread in general discussion to see if others on here from my generation will chime in.

The old trucks you guys are restoring now are the ones we made a living with back then.
The equipment we used, and the world we lived in was so much simpler, but more manual labor than today. The equipment was easy to work on, too.

I've been in Ag. almost all my life, so really don't know much about most of you guys world.

I can't savvy what our two sons in their 30s are talking about on the stuff they work on, and both are around and repair mechanical equipment for a living. One on aircraft, the other road trucks.

I sure enjoy watching what you do to "our" old trucks, modernize them, and making them look purty.
So will try to slowly fade away, and let the next generation take the wheel, but now and then, throw a post in. I have lots of good memories with the same "girl" for 47 yrs, raised 4 onery kids, and life has been good. If I could do it over, I'd do it again.

GMCDAC: Hauling them like that has been history for many years. We had to stop at the state port-of-entries, and and get an Ag. exemption permit even back then. Probably cost $25.00 each rig.
I might be able to find a pic. of the '55, trailer/w propane nurse tank for combine and truck, with the truck and combine the second year I went. They both were converted to propane by then.

Rockdriller November 23rd, 2013 02:30 AM

Thanks, Yote.
We respect that.
Don't keep us waitin' too long.

GMCDAC November 23rd, 2013 05:27 AM

Yeah, I sure wouldn't mind you starting an old timers thread at all! I dig the history of darn near anything mechanical and rural!

DAC

Rockdriller November 23rd, 2013 06:47 PM

That's right.

I think I could read Coyoterun's history thread non-stop for days.
And of course....like he says..maybe some more of the Pioneers like 'Yote will pipe up and give us a history lesson.
I for once......, am the student in the front row...paying attention.

BarryGMC November 25th, 2013 07:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This old 1950 Jimmy hauled a lot of rock up in Sitka AK. in the early 70's. here is a before and after shot of my grandfather Gordon Berglunds operation.

Cayoterun November 25th, 2013 09:43 PM

What an improvement.
What kind of operation was it? I'm guessing a lumber mill of some kind, maybe?

The old Jimmy could probably tell some stories about the good drivers, as well as the bad ones, and some of the wild weather it busted thru.

It reminded me of the song by Red Simpson that tells the story from the truck's point of view. I think it's called "Hello, I'm a truck"

Thanks for posting, Barry

Found it!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLeae1KQSac

BarryGMC November 25th, 2013 10:47 PM

Started as a little saw mill. But Grandpa and my great aunt Dorothy Darrin built it into a barge terminal. Its still there. its just north of Sitka. The two of them also had a quarry and crusher near by. So when grandpa had some spare time he filled in the area where the dock is. That old jimmy started hauling logs up north of there in about 62. 10 foot bunks 40 long. He then put a box on it and some bigger rears. It hauled rock until about 95 0r so. When he retired and moved back to Abberdeen Wa. in the 80's he brought it back with him. Near Aberdeen he used it on 80 acres of industrial land that he raised up about 8 feet, hauling fill from some land of his across the road. When he died in 07 the old 500 cube gasser still ran but a life on the washington and alaska coast had ate up most of the truck. Barry

BarryGMC November 25th, 2013 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have some more old truck pics from my family history that i need to dig up Here is my great grandfather Jacks 1927 white truck pictured in 1940 . He bought a section of Idaho white pine land near Elk city Idaho, and hauled his whole mill up there and cut pine for Diamond match Co. My surviving grandfather hauled over 1 million board feet of lumber to a rail spur about 15 miles from camp in the summer of 40 with that truck. He did this when he was 14. We still have this truck and it runs well. Hand crank start on that old guy. I am getting ready to rebuild the cab... Some day... sorry its not a jimmy, but I think it's cool. Barry