6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New guy (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50261)

soszynski January 6th, 2018 10:37 PM

New guy

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I was happy to find this group and wanted to share my new acquisition. A neighbor wanted to know if I would be interested in this old truck. If the speedometer cable isn't broken, it has 31k miles. It was bought for a local municipality for plowing in Vermont, and has a Napco 4wd conversion. The truck was saved from the scrap man 12 years ago and has sat here since. Hoping to tow this girl home as soon as the snow allows. 401, 1960, more photos to follow.

Do let me know what you think!

TJ's GMC January 7th, 2018 04:35 PM

Re: New guy

Welcome and very nice truck! Awesome that it has a 401 v6 in it! :upyes:

Funky61 January 7th, 2018 04:38 PM

Welcome Soszynski! That's going to be an Awesome build. I like those B model's and 4by to boot. More photos when the weather permits.

Ed Snyder January 7th, 2018 07:29 PM

I hope you can get it running! A short wheelbase big truck like that looks cool with a pickup bed on it. What are your long term plans for it?

soszynski January 8th, 2018 12:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Not sure what I hope for with this rig. Getting it home and giving a good going over will be first. I am a perpetual tinkerer and generally don't make long term plans. Maybe remove the plow frame and hydraulics. The last kid is finishing up with college, so maybe this will be our third version of tuition if the wife isn't too opposed.

BillT January 11th, 2018 12:14 AM

Interesting truck.

If I am understanding it correctly, it looks like it has 9,000 Fronts and 21,000 Rears giving you a GVW of 30,000.

It has the same exact Trans I had in my '62 6500.

Keep us posted on it.

soszynski January 11th, 2018 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks BillT,
I was not aware the spring "info" on the glove tag was a GVW rating. To me, what is more interesting is you mentioned 9 and 21, yet the tag says 9 and 11. Yet again, the VIN does indeed rate the truck at 30,000. Any further clarification on glove tag info would be welcome. Cast wheels? After the springs front and rear, what does the aux refer to? How about the brakes reference?

Thanks!

Well, this is me editing my goofy post. I see now above the spring count is axle rating. Plenty to learn still!

BillT January 12th, 2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soszynski (Post 68565)
Cast wheels? After the springs front and rear, what does the aux refer to? How about the brakes reference?

Cast Wheels may mean Spokes, but I can't see the Rear Wheels in the picture. The Fronts may have been a conversion after the truck was built.

Aux Springs is listed as 4. They are the "helper" Springs when carrying a full load.

Brakes are listed as Hydraulic.

Jim A January 13th, 2018 05:31 PM

That is about as serious a truck as was ever made.
I'll bet it worked hard its whole life.
Don't take the hydraulics off right away. If they work now all the better.
Great fun for when spring gets here.
A wonderful find.

soszynski January 14th, 2018 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Posting a higher res photo of the rig in the snow.