6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   351e V6 Up and Running - Starting Issue? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47705)

AndrewJoey August 14th, 2013 11:39 PM

351e V6 Up and Running - Starting Issue?

Ok, I put in a new coil, Pertronix2 ignition, set the timing. Runs great idles good, only a couple small backfires when I drove it, probably my fault, getting used to driving it :)

The problem is I have to hit it with starting fluid in the morning to get it started. Just a little spray and it starts right up and is good all day from then on.
Not real worried, but shouldn't it start w/o it?

I adjusted the idle so it wouldn't keep chugging after the ignition is turned off.
Any ideas on the cold start?

GMC Guy August 15th, 2013 04:07 AM

Re: 351e V6 Up and Running - Starting Issue?

Check the accelerator pump at cold start and make sure it sprays some fuel before initial startup when pumping the pedal. Fuel bowl may be leaking down overnight too. You may need a mild carb rebuild to address these items.

AndrewJoey August 16th, 2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMC Guy (Post 49777)
Check the accelerator pump at cold start and make sure it sprays some fuel before initial startup when pumping the pedal. Fuel bowl may be leaking down overnight too. You may need a mild carb rebuild to address these items.

Thanks for the advice. Can you run me through the steps on how to do that? I already rebuilt it, do I need to just remove the top of the carb, or the whole thing?

AndrewJoey August 16th, 2013 06:13 AM

Well, I was out dinking around with the truck and I think I may have found the issue
(I hope). In the mornings when I go to start it, I normally give it 2-5 quick pumps. I've been thinking that the accelerator pump would prime the carb, but I noticed tonight when I was pushing on it with my hand that it took a couple seconds for the pump to raise. So I wasn't allowing the pump to do it's job. Gonna hold the pedal in longer before releasing it.

I'll let you know if that's all it was tomorrow...

GMCNUT August 16th, 2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJoey (Post 49769)
Ok, I put in a new coil, Pertronix2 ignition, set the timing. Runs great idles good, only a couple small backfires when I drove it, probably my fault, getting used to driving it :)

The problem is I have to hit it with starting fluid in the morning to get it started. Just a little spray and it starts right up and is good all day from then on.
Not real worried, but shouldn't it start w/o it?

I adjusted the idle so it wouldn't keep chugging after the ignition is turned off.
Any ideas on the cold start?

I need to adjust the idle on my 305E but unlike Chevy's 2BBL Rochester carbs, this original GMC 2BBL Stromberg carb does not seem to have an idle screw that I can see on the side linkage attached to the gas pedal - so where on yours did you find an adjustment screw?

FetchMeAPepsi August 16th, 2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 49800)
I need to adjust the idle on my 305E but unlike Chevy's 2BBL Rochester carbs, this original GMC 2BBL Stromberg carb does not seem to have an idle screw that I can see on the side linkage attached to the gas pedal - so where on yours did you find an adjustment screw?

The idle adjustment screws on the Strombergs are right in the front, one by each jet near the bottom where it bolts to the heat riser. There's pics of it in my build thread here. The screws are highlighted in blue about midway down.

tommyduncan August 16th, 2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 49802)
The idle adjustment screws on the Strombergs are right in the front, one by each jet near the bottom where it bolts to the heat riser. There's pics of it in my build thread here. The screws are highlighted in blue about midway down.

Those are the idle mixture screws. Some(most) carbs have an idle speed adjustment that is easily accessible, usually in the vicinity of the carb linkage. I suspect that is what he is looking for.

FetchMeAPepsi August 16th, 2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyduncan (Post 49803)
Those are the idle mixture screws. Some(most) carbs have an idle speed adjustment that is easily accessible, usually in the vicinity of the carb linkage. I suspect that is what he is looking for.

There's a screw that bottoms out against a plate in the throttle linkage too if that's the case. It faces the front of the vehicle and is located on the driver's side a little over midway up the carb.

Here's a pic of it where it says "grab your wrench looking piece"

tommyduncan August 16th, 2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 49804)
There's a screw that bottoms out against a plate in the throttle linkage too if that's the case. It faces the front of the vehicle and is located on the driver's side a little over midway up the carb.

I'll bet that's it! I just remembered I have a stock carb at home. I've never messed with this type. Even though I don't plan on using it maybe I will take it apart just to learn something about them.:)

AndrewJoey August 17th, 2013 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 49804)

Thanks guys, I'll play with the idle mixture tomorrow. I took the carb apart again and messed with the timing-still the same. It runs ok, but I know if I knew what the **** I was doing, it would be better. All a learning process I guess.