6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   I-6 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Loud squalling noise from Inline 6 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49630)

rusty66 October 1st, 2016 04:35 PM

Loud squalling noise from Inline 6

I am having trouble with my 250ci inline 6 stock engine. It won't idle. Carb looked dirty, black gunky inside so I have decided to rebuild the carb. The truck is also now making an awful sound like a cat squalling. Anyone that could help me figure out the likely cause, I would appreciate the help. The truck still has the generator setup.

AZKen October 1st, 2016 08:49 PM

Re: Loud squalling noise from Inline 6

Can't help you until you tell is where the noise is coming from and when it does it. Is it the motor or the chassis or steering or what? While idling, while driving?.... You say the truck is making noise, that's a big area. Could be fan belt? We can't hear it from our house. Gotta help us a little.

TJ's GMC October 1st, 2016 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty66 (Post 63883)
I am having trouble with my 250ci inline 6 stock engine. It won't idle. Carb looked dirty, black gunky inside so I have decided to rebuild the carb. The truck is also now making an awful sound like a cat squalling. Anyone that could help me figure out the likely cause, I would appreciate the help. The truck still has the generator setup.

When does it squeal?

FetchMeAPepsi October 1st, 2016 10:48 PM

Black gunk in the carb probably means the same stuff is in the fuel filter too. And the tank. As for the squeal, it's probably the tail lamp that needs greasing. It happens alot. :teehee:

AZKen October 1st, 2016 11:02 PM

I'm guessing radio between stations. I have seen FMAP's cause many times also.

rusty66 October 2nd, 2016 02:00 PM

Glad I could give you guys a good laugh. Pretty sure its not the radio since the truck does not have one. I will change the fuel filter when I rebuild the carb. I haven't been able to keep the engine running to get close to the noise as I have no help and the truck won't idle. I think it might be a bearing in the generator maybe.

TJ's GMC October 2nd, 2016 03:27 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the water pump. They can make some noise. lol

rusty66 October 2nd, 2016 04:34 PM

When a water pump goes out do they usually leak? I haven't seen any indication of leaks so far.

rusty66 October 2nd, 2016 04:35 PM

The fan belt looks ok, no cracks or bad spots and it is tight.

TJ's GMC October 2nd, 2016 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty66 (Post 63905)
When a water pump goes out do they usually leak? I haven't seen any indication of leaks so far.

Buddy of mine had one go out and never mentioned it leaking. My 46 case tractor's pump leaks but doesn't squall. lol The seal is shot.