6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tiiming Chain Replacement (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49632)

kchampagne October 2nd, 2016 03:59 PM

Tiiming Chain Replacement

Hey all, I am working on my "spare" 305 and putting together a list of parts I need, including the timing chain. The chain is extremely loose. The engine was rebuilt and has approx. 15,000 miles since. Anyone know what causes the chain to loosen on low mileage? Maybe the chain wasn't replaced during rebuild. Also, the camshaft sprocket moves (slides on camshaft about 1/8") Based on my maintenance manual, there isn't a spacer or thrust plate behind the sprocket (boneheads probably left them out). Does anyone have a picture of the thrust plate and camshaft sprocket spacer? Not sure if I can fabricate one up. Better yet, anyone have spares laying around I could buy? I would bet they do sell these anymore.

Thanks much!

HOTRODJOHN October 2nd, 2016 05:50 PM

Re: Tiiming Chain Replacement

I can get you a photo tomorrow when I go to the shop. I just changed my motors chain and 2 sprockets. The only piece behind the lower gear is a large splash washer. How is the key way. I had a regular chain and gear but I changed it over to 2 sprocket type gears and double roller chain. I will get you the picture and the part numbers and post them tomorrow night. It should be posted after 7PM EST because I am on the West coast. John

kchampagne October 2nd, 2016 07:48 PM

Awesome John! No hurries. It is the camshaft sprocket that moves. My manual indicates a thrust plate and spacer are supposed to be behind it? Mine is the double roller also. Where did you buy your replacement?

Thank you!

HOTRODJOHN October 2nd, 2016 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to go to the shop and take the picture. You can see that there are not any spacers on there the splash washer (not sure of the technical term) is in front of the gear. I believe I bought the gears from Auto Zone. The part #'s are all Cloyes Chain #C-166, Cam Gear # S310 and Crank Gear # S-311.
Hope this helps. John

Attachment 5463

kchampagne October 3rd, 2016 03:07 AM

Thank you John! That is the same setup I have on my crank sprocket, so that is good. Do you know if you had a spacer or washer behind the cam sprocket?

Thanks much!
Ken

TJ's GMC October 3rd, 2016 03:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can get a timing chain kit that comes with the sprockets and gears from O'riellys. Nothing behind the cam gear that I recall. :thumbsup: You will be surprised that a new chain really isn't much tighter.

HOTRODJOHN October 3rd, 2016 03:53 AM

There are no spacers behind the cam gear. Let us know how you make out. John

turbobill October 3rd, 2016 02:22 PM

Timing chains (all types) will slacken within a few thousand miles. It's the nature of the beast. I usually advance a cam 2 to 4 degrees to compensate.

James October 3rd, 2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOTRODJOHN (Post 63915)
I decided to go to the shop and take the picture. You can see that there are not any spacers on there the splash washer (not sure of the technical term) is in front of the gear. I believe I bought the gears from Auto Zone. The part #'s are all Cloyes Chain #C-166, Cam Gear # S310 and Crank Gear # S-311.
Hope this helps. John

Attachment 5463

That is an oil slinger on the crankshaft. It help the crankshaft seal keep the oil inside the engine.

HOTRODJOHN October 4th, 2016 12:31 AM

KC, there are no spacers behind the Cam gear. John