6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Computer / Forum Help (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Forum browsing problems (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47883)

GMCDAC November 11th, 2013 01:41 AM

Forum browsing problems

I seem to have a lot of problems getting pages to load and just manuvering around this site in general. I don't seem to have any trouble elsewhere. I am very internet illiterate though, and maybe there is some kind of setting or something I missed?

I guess by todays standards my computer is old, a 7 year old HP Pavillion with Windows XP. I know the powers that be are trying to kill off XP but I have very little trouble on other sites.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks---DAC

Jeannie November 11th, 2013 02:11 PM

Re: Forum browsing problems

Dac,

I am unable to replicate your problem, but I think you may be running into our new anti-spam filter. I have sent you a pm.

GMCDAC November 13th, 2013 01:47 AM

Thanks for everything you do Jeannie!

Later---DAC

Foley November 13th, 2013 05:12 AM

I'd have to agree with DAC. For me it seems to have started a couple months ago. The website down loads just fine most of the time, but browsing around within the forum sometimes goes extremely slow. I notice it the most when using the back button to return to the main page or go from picture to picture within an album. The funny thing is, the problem is intermittent (sp?) maybe 70 percent of the time.

Jeannie November 13th, 2013 03:00 PM

Foley,

We will be actively testing between 5 and 6pm Mountain today. This is a high traffic timeframe. Please submit any problems you experience during that time via PM if you are online.

-Jeannie

George Bongert November 14th, 2013 02:40 AM

Hello Club Members!

I guess I can throw in my two cents worth here as well. I'm running an HP Pavillion computer with Windows Vista OS, (Firefox Web Browser) and so far I have had no problems with this site, either viewing, browsing, or posting. You might have an issue with your browser privacy settings interferring (sp?) with your ability to navigate this website. Try a different web browser and see if your problems with this site are fixed. Hope this helps!

FetchMeAPepsi November 14th, 2013 04:07 AM

Like george I dont have any trouble and I post all the time. Thanks jeannie!

:yourock:

GMCDAC November 14th, 2013 11:55 PM

I think things may be a little better for me, but I have struggled with slow loads some this evening and got kicked off once too.

Mr. Bongert, I will go try to figure out the privacy settings you spoke of, but I am going to say, I am a computard, and have no idea how to change a browser. I don't understand why it is just this site. I guess Facebook is a little sluggish for me too but seldom go there. All I do is a couple other truck sites, a garden tractor site, emails and craigslist on the computer, maybe look at stuff on ebay now and then. AOL email was giving me a little grief recently too but I went to a different version and it seems real good again.

Thanks for the advice---DAC

George Bongert November 16th, 2013 01:31 AM

Greetings Doug!

If you go to your 'options' area of your browser, you should be able to find your privacy settings. Now, each browser will be a little different, but basically the same in principle. Regarding your slow computer response time, have you run any cleanup utilities to purge your computer of junk and temporary files? These files are created every time you go to various websites etc, and there is a lot of nifty free software availble from cnet.com that you can download and install on your computer. Two that I can highly recommend are Glary Utilities, and Eusing Free Registry cleaner. I ran these on my computer, and you will be amazed at how much junk accumulates in your hard drive over time that will slow your computer down. Like you, I too was "computer illiterate" once upon a time, but just by trying new things, I've gotten the hang of it, and in the words of a computer tech who is a friend of mine said that I've gotten pretty computer savvy. Don't let your computer scare you--you really can't do too much to screw it up. Good luck.

GMCDAC November 17th, 2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bongert (Post 51061)
Greetings Doug!

If you go to your 'options' area of your browser, you should be able to find your privacy settings. Now, each browser will be a little different, but basically the same in principle. Regarding your slow computer response time, have you run any cleanup utilities to purge your computer of junk and temporary files? These files are created every time you go to various websites etc, and there is a lot of nifty free software availble from cnet.com that you can download and install on your computer. Two that I can highly recommend are Glary Utilities, and Eusing Free Registry cleaner. I ran these on my computer, and you will be amazed at how much junk accumulates in your hard drive over time that will slow your computer down. Like you, I too was "computer illiterate" once upon a time, but just by trying new things, I've gotten the hang of it, and in the words of a computer tech who is a friend of mine said that I've gotten pretty computer savvy. Don't let your computer scare you--you really can't do too much to screw it up. Good luck.

Thanks again George, I run an Avast cleanup and virus blocker and do the scans often. It seems the later at night I go on this site, the better it works but I can't stay up too late anymore---LOL! Computers don't scare me a bit, I've got hammers that can fix them for good!

I'll just try to come on a little later in the evening.

Later---DAC