6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   '63 Fenderside in Colorado; front spring removal (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49586)

John Mann September 8th, 2016 03:33 AM

'63 Fenderside in Colorado; front spring removal

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone. I'm ready to take the front end off the '63. Those coil springs look scary. I'm told to get a spring compressing tool before I try to remove them. Other places I look look like I can jack it up under the lower control arms, disconnect it, then lower the jack so that the front cross member rests on a jack stand, allowing the lower arm to drop all the way. Any recommendations? I'd prefer not do launch one of these springs across the garage. Thanks!

FetchMeAPepsi September 8th, 2016 03:27 PM

Re: '63 Fenderside in Colorado; front spring removal

Being a village idiot I don' know all the terms you mentioned above, but I have taken springs off before. If you run down to Autozone you can get a free spring compressor that's pretty decent quality. You just pay a deposit fee, take the compressor, and they return the fee when you bring it back.

As for the springs, they can spring off and go crazy at any time they're compressed. Keep your fingers clear and use gloves! Use an impact wrench on the compressor to prevent the twisting motion of a socket wrench. Much easier too.

Other than that, just use common sense and take it slow. Don't put your face in the spring area either, or you could be buying some George Washington style teeth in the future :teehee:

Don't forget to post some pics of the process, and good luck!

John Mann October 7th, 2016 12:48 AM

Okay, I've tried two different spring compressors; I couldn't make either of them fit. So I'm trying it with the floor jack. I've loosened the nuts on both top and bottom ball joints, and hammered a pickle fork into the joint, but it won't pop out, either the top or bottom.

There must be something I'm missing. Any suggestions for getting the balljoints to pop loose?

Thanks in advance!

John Mann December 17th, 2016 08:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay,

I have everything disassembled, down to the frame. The coil springs weren't that bad after all, once I figured out how to compress them. The picture shows the compressor I used, except that I ended up putting the black piece under the lower A-arm.

It took a really big hammer, and pickle fork, to get the lowerAttachment 5947

Attachment 5948

Attachment 5949 ball joints to break loose. I had to remove the A-arms from the frame, and lay them on the floor; otherwise, there was too much "give" on the frame.

I'm going to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, and I think pitman and idler arms. They are in pretty bad shape. LMC Trucks seem to sell them; any suggestions on them or someone else?

Likewise, I removed the rear leaf springs, and the spring eye bushings are shot. But LMC doesn't have any reference for leaf springs for a '63 two-wheel drive. Any suggestions for where to get replacement spring eye bushings?

As always, greatly appreciate advice!

John

kchampagne December 18th, 2016 01:12 AM

Hey John. I am currently doing the same thing right now on my suburban. My preferred online stores are LMCTruck, Truckandcarshop, Rockauto, and Amazon. Believe it or not, I buy a ton of parts on Amazon. It is important to verify part numbers prior placing your order though. Same with Rockauto. They are known for sending the wrong parts, especially GMC 305 specific parts. Just cross reference with other online stores before ordering.

John Mann December 18th, 2016 04:38 AM

Thanks for the list of parts suppliers. I had LMC, but not the others; I'll look around for the spring eye bushings.

kchampagne December 18th, 2016 03:13 PM

If you have trouble finding the bushings, give Eaton Detroit Spring a call. They probably have them.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/p...hings/#springs