6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48103)

aphaynes June 27th, 2014 05:28 AM

Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Well, wifey must be growing to accept this new hobby. She brought me a couple of toys from the flea market::ahhhh:

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

The spray gun is a Port Cable PSH1. I guess it is an older gun as info on the internet is a little hard to come by. Should be fun practicing on stuff though...after I do some learning on how to use it. :lolsmack2:
However, the gun states it is rated at 8.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI where as my compressor is only 6.5 SCFM at 40 PSI. Add another upgrade to my to do list. :D

Online Ad:
Porter Cable PSH1 Gravity Feed Spray Gun:
Latest high-volume, low-pressure technology for high output and low overspray
1.5mm nozzle combination
Adjustable fluid and spray controls for precise operation
Lightweight, durable die-cast alloy gun body
Stainless steel fluid inlet and needle;

FetchMeAPepsi June 27th, 2014 05:54 AM

Nice prize! I got one too from Eastwood that I'm dying to try out. Interested in seeing the practice shots so I can follow along when I get to that point :thumbsup:

BarryGMC June 27th, 2014 05:54 AM

Your compressor will run that fine. It will just need to catch up every few mins.

BarryGMC June 27th, 2014 05:56 AM

Man o man you guys are up late.

FetchMeAPepsi June 27th, 2014 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53916)

Yeah, I gotta pick up the Redhead from work in like 5 mins. Teens and jobs. Why can't they ever pick something that ends at 5pm like reg'lar folks?

:threadjacked:

Sorry Aphaynes :D

aphaynes June 27th, 2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 53914)
Nice prize! I got one too from Eastwood that I'm dying to try out. Interested in seeing the practice shots so I can follow along when I get to that point :thumbsup:

Ha Ha...considering I don't know zip about using one of these things, it ought to be interesting. I did watch some YouTube videos last night, so I guess that makes me an expert! :ahhhh::lolsmack2:

aphaynes June 27th, 2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53915)
Your compressor will run that fine. It will just need to catch up every few mins.

Good to know. :thumbsup: Guess I'll find out when I find some cardboard or scrap metal to practice on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryGMC (Post 53915)

Ha! I crashed hard right after that picture post :) Had been under the house fixing pipes.

WDShaffer June 27th, 2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphaynes (Post 53912)
Well, wifey must be growing to accept this new hobby. She brought me a couple of toys from the flea market

The spray gun is a Port Cable PSH1. I guess it is an older gun as info on the internet is a little hard to come by. Should be fun practicing on stuff though...after I do some learning on how to use it.
However, the gun states it is rated at 8.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI where as my compressor is only 6.5 SCFM at 40 PSI. Add another upgrade to my to do list. :D

Online Ad:
Porter Cable PSH1 Gravity Feed Spray Gun:
Latest high-volume, low-pressure technology for high output and low overspray
1.5mm nozzle combination
Adjustable fluid and spray controls for precise operation
Lightweight, durable die-cast alloy gun body
Stainless steel fluid inlet and needle;

I have a square sander just like that...actually wore out the first, and on my second. :my2cents: It looks like a pressure regulator is attached. You want that and not a "cheater valve" (like a globe valve). Practice with primer on a fender. Acetone is cheap and cleans up the paint gun real good when finished. Your air compressor will keep up with one panel at a time. Then you can use your sanders--keep em flat and moving steady back and forth.

aphaynes July 14th, 2014 04:29 AM

Well, budget is tight right now, so not much has been happening since I got the grill back together and headlight wiring complete...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

...so this afternoon I was staring at a pile of left over lumber in the corner of the garage wondering what I'll use it for. Then I walked out to Rusti (my daughters name for the truck) and it hit me...:machinegun:...it will be a long time before I have $$$ for a tailgate, with all the other stuff I need to do to Rusti. For the short term, why not just make one?!? :ahhhh: Surely a truck that is supposed to have a wood bed can handle a wood tailgate...at least for a little while. ;)

So this is the start of it. Nothing is attached to anything at this point. Just cutting pieces to see what I like the look of.

This particular layout is a mix of 2x4's and 1x8's. We'll have to see how this evolves. :)

Speaking of evolving...or devolving...is that a word??? I had a big chunk of bondo come off my driver door today. Geez. Not sure how long it has been on there, but it revealed a nice crease in the door skin that someone tried to just fill in. I think Rusti is crying out for help. To bad she didn't find a better equipped urgent care facility to call home.

BarryGMC July 14th, 2014 05:37 AM

You have a cool truck . Just chisel a way. Little by little. Barry.