6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   478 Toro flow (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49819)

TJ's GMC January 1st, 2017 05:32 AM

478 Toro flow

I have a WTB ad on C/L for V6 engines and I got a reply from someone saying they have a complete 478 toro flow. Though I'd prefer a gasser I am still thinking of looking at it. I was thinking of offer no more than $300 as this is the diesel and parts a scarce. Sound good?

Questions:
Anything in particular to look for since parts are ultra rare and hard to get for these?
Certain issues in certain years to look into?
Do the toro flows also have the engine number stamped on the passenger front side of the block?
What would it take to convert it to a gas? Possible?

BobBray January 2nd, 2017 03:59 AM

Re: 478 Toro flow

$300 sounds good to me if it runs O.K.. Parts are gone, but sometimes they show up on Ebay. I have seen gaskets, valves, injector pumps from time to time. A Toro-Flow can't be converted to gasoline, way too many differences.

A 1968-up Toro-Flow II is preferable, they were painted green and have oil coolers. Most important things I would think to look for would be low oil pressure and bearing knocks. Not sure about engine numbers.

TJ's GMC January 2nd, 2017 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBray (Post 65720)
$300 sounds good to me if it runs O.K.. Parts are gone, but sometimes they show up on Ebay. I have seen gaskets, valves, injector pumps from time to time. A Toro-Flow can't be converted to gasoline, way too many differences.

A 1968-up Toro-Flow II is preferable, they were painted green and have oil coolers. Most important things I would think to look for would be low oil pressure and bearing knocks. Not sure about engine numbers.

Thanks for the suggestions! Found out he is 3.5 hours from me so going just to See it won't really be possible like I had hoped. Relying on pictures.

TJ's GMC January 8th, 2017 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, here is a picture. Looks pretty rough to me. Looking at the water neck I can see rust, telling me that engine has been sitting Out for years. That leads me to think it had issues at one time. What do you all think? Due to it being a diesel I think I may pass on it. Would be Awesome to rock a toro flow in the GMC, but this one I think will be a hassle.

BillT January 8th, 2017 12:31 AM

I agree. A little too rusty. It would be good for some parts, but I would pass on it for a rebuilder.

TJ's GMC January 8th, 2017 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillT (Post 65827)
I agree. A little too rusty. It would be good for some parts, but I would pass on it for a rebuilder.

Thanks, If he were closer I'd go look at it, but the main turn off is that he is 3 hours away and will probably want an arm and leg for it because it's such a "rare" engine.

kchampagne January 8th, 2017 06:32 AM

Yes, definitely agree. There is way too much rust. It looks to be pitted real bad. I would pass unless it was free!

TJ's GMC January 8th, 2017 04:15 PM

I was gonna offer $50 for it, but when he told me he wanted to trade That engine for a Toyota land cruiser engine I figured out that he's another one of those people that thinks rust is worth its weight in gold. So I didn't even bother responding anymore.

bluestreak1854 January 29th, 2017 07:45 PM

TJ, don't know where you are located but i have a 305E that needs work-- i bored it 30 new pistons crank ground resized rods, every thing not many miles back-- but it quit one day and i haven't taken it apart to see what happened-- i suspect timing chain or head gasket- but it never got hot-- i also have a 478Magnum out of a coe 8000 truck that has 8696 miles only on it-- i have everything needed to install it in a truck

TJ's GMC January 29th, 2017 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluestreak1854 (Post 66145)
TJ, don't know where you are located but i have a 305E that needs work-- i bored it 30 new pistons crank ground resized rods, every thing not many miles back-- but it quit one day and i haven't taken it apart to see what happened-- i suspect timing chain or head gasket- but it never got hot-- i also have a 478Magnum out of a coe 8000 truck that has 8696 miles only on it-- i have everything needed to install it in a truck

Thanks for the offer! I'm in Oregon so a couple states away. If I wasn't restoring another truck I'd totally be up for a road trip. Hope someone is able to pick up the 478. :thumbsup: