6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Dash and Wipers (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=50148)

Walys60 September 11th, 2017 09:17 PM

Dash and Wipers

Okay both these questions are going to show what little I do know, but figure I'll just dispel any thoughts that I might know what I'm doing early on.

First off, does the dash come out?

Secondly, I got the engine and transmission out, but the WIPERS are kicking my backside! How do you get them off of the splines, just force? If so, I've been just short of breaking them with a pry-bar already. Frustrating.

Thanks!

jbgroby September 12th, 2017 01:12 PM

Re: Dash and Wipers

1 Attachment(s)
Walys,

Each wiper is held on with a small wire, look carefully where the base meets on the spline, you should see a small clip, pull that up/or back and the wiper will slip off with a little help from a large blade screwdriver.

Walys60 September 12th, 2017 02:03 PM

I think I see what you're talking about in the picture. That's great, thanks! Wearing my glasses might help too.

The dash is the other thing then. I have 2 manuals, and neither show anything about the dash coming out. I look underneath and don't see very many bolts, just 6 in the front corners and around the steering column, but it 'looks' like a seem along the back (at the windshield). Sure would be easier to paint if it comes out, but starting to think it doesn't.

Ed Snyder September 12th, 2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walys60 (Post 67957)
The dash is the other thing then. I have 2 manuals, and neither show anything about the dash coming out. I look underneath and don't see very many bolts, just 6 in the front corners and around the steering column, but it 'looks' like a seem along the back (at the windshield). Sure would be easier to paint if it comes out, but starting to think it doesn't.

While it is possible to remove a dash, I suspect it's not something you would want to tackle. They're spot welded in.

Walys60 September 12th, 2017 10:24 PM

Thanks sir! That's what I needed to know and, you're right, it will be staying right where it is :). Also, I did manage to get the wipers off, lol, and the glasses did help quite a bit.

George Bongert September 13th, 2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walys60 (Post 67961)
Thanks sir! That's what I needed to know and, you're right, it will be staying right where it is :). Also, I did manage to get the wipers off, lol, and the glasses did help quite a bit.

Greetings!

Glad you got those wipers off! As to those retaining clips, that would have been something that I would have missed without the use of my "cheaters"! Ain't it funny how we start to fall apart as we get older?? Sure wish I could turn the clock back about 30 years!!

Walys60 September 13th, 2017 12:28 PM

hehe, yep, cheaters is what it took. I try to pretend I still have 20/20...until I can't.