6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49685)

Sponge October 30th, 2016 07:54 PM

GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

I've got some doubt on the way my 12V alternator is hooked up.

It does not charge at all so I started to troubleshoot the wiring.
I got the feeling the Battery post on the alternator goes to the wrong starter solenoid post.

I need to check but I think the wire from the alternator battery post goes to the AMP meter then back to the solenoid connector on the top of below picture.

If this is the case, shouldn't be connected to the battery post on the left side?

My amp meter is always on negative while engine running.

Thanks

Dylan

bobdylan October 30th, 2016 11:58 PM

Re: GMC 1962 starter solenoid wiring

Are you sure it is not charging? Start it unhook battery cable while it is running , if it keeps running alternator is working.

Sponge October 31st, 2016 06:01 PM

I checked the wires and I replaced two of them. Other than that, it looks correctly wired.

I tested the voltage at the battery with engine off and unplugged then with engine running at idling or in some rpm and the voltage did not change at all.

TJ's GMC October 31st, 2016 07:41 PM

Run the engine, check voltage. Then turn on Lights, Heater, and anything else that draws power. If the voltage has dropped but is remaining steady the alternator is maintaining, but if the voltage is steadily dropping and not Stopping the alternator is either not working or not wired correctly. It's a common thing for voltage regulators to go bad causing an appearance that the alternator is bad, but as old as it is...new ones are cheap and cheap insurance. You can get a new regulator to, I would recommend converting to a 1 wire though. One wire from alternator to battery positive and then hook up the gauge and your good to go.

James November 1st, 2016 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 64473)
Run the engine, check voltage. Then turn on Lights, Heater, and anything else that draws power. If the voltage has dropped but is remaining steady the alternator is maintaining, but if the voltage is steadily dropping and not Stopping the alternator is either not working or not wired correctly. It's a common thing for voltage regulators to go bad causing an appearance that the alternator is bad, but as old as it is...new ones are cheap and cheap insurance. You can get a new regulator to, I would recommend converting to a 1 wire though. One wire from alternator to battery positive and then hook up the gauge and your good to go.

Connecting the alternator directly to the battery will disable the battery amp meter (meter will always reads zero).

Using a one wire alternator can cause other symptoms (I have experience this problem). If there is not quite perfect connection on every junctions (a connection with a slight amount of corrosion) you could experience a low voltage condition (like your headlight blinking only with the turn signal on or dim headlights when the heater is on). This is cause by the way the alternator is referencing the system voltage. On a one wire alternator it is sense in the alternator. On a normal system it is sense at a common junction point (usually behind the dash) and will dampen this effect. If you have a new harness then there should be no problem what type of alternator you use.

Sponge November 1st, 2016 08:06 PM

I tried another alternator but that one was stored for a long time and is a bit Noisy and does not charge of course....

I'm unlucky for now....

:banghead:

Sponge November 1st, 2016 08:08 PM

This is the way my alternator, amp meter and starter and connected.

From amp meter, one side, I've got one wire from starter battery +
On the other side, two wires: alternator battery b+ then the other wire is my main harness power.

Does it make sense to you? When I turn on light, there is a power consumption and it reads zero when key is off.

James November 2nd, 2016 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sponge (Post 64498)
This is the way my alternator, amp meter and starter and connected.

From amp meter, one side, I've got one wire from starter battery +
On the other side, two wires: alternator battery b+ then the other wire is my main harness power.

Does it make sense to you? When I turn on light, there is a power consumption and it reads zero when key is off.

Yes this is correct.

Base on the pictures you posted earlier it look like you have a Delco-Remy 65 amp alternator (with a two wire connector plug into the side of the alternator) with an internal regulator. One option is to have the alternator bench check at an auto part store.

Or if you have a volt meter you can test it. With the engine running check the voltage output of the alternator with a volt meter (should be approx. 13.5-14.0 volts)? It should be nearly identical reading at the battery. If it is less than that there is a D shape hole on the back side of the alternator. Inside that hole is a metal tab. Using a small pocket screw driver ground that tab to the side of the alternator while monitoring the voltage. It should go up, may go over 14.0 volts, so don't leave it on it too long. The alternator may even moan while the current is flowing out. If it does work it look like the internal regulator at fault and will need to be change.

Let us know what you find.

Sponge November 2nd, 2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James (Post 64502)
Yes this is correct.

Base on the pictures you posted earlier it look like you have a Delco-Remy 65 amp alternator (with a two wire connector plug into the side of the alternator) with an internal regulator. One option is to have the alternator bench check at an auto part store.

Or if you have a volt meter you can test it. With the engine running check the voltage output of the alternator with a volt meter (should be approx. 13.5-14.0 volts)? It should be nearly identical reading at the battery. If it is less than that there is a D shape hole on the back side of the alternator. Inside that hole is a metal tab. Using a small pocket screw driver ground that tab to the side of the alternator while monitoring the voltage. It should go up, may go over 14.0 volts, so don't leave it on it too long. The alternator may even moan while the current is flowing out. If it does work it look like the internal regulator at fault and will need to be change.

Let us know what you find.

With the voltmeter, I've got 12.3V at idling so way too low to my opinion and no change while rpm going up of course.

For the D shape, I'll have a look.

LEWISMATKIN December 21st, 2016 04:47 AM

either the regulator inside the alternator is shot, or the diode trio which attaches to the diode bridge is shot. In either case, replace the alternator. BTW, a 1962 didn't come with an alternator, but a 35a generator. I hope this helps you.

cordially,
Lewis Ellis Matkin, Jr.
Ridge, Manor, Fla.