6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New Member (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49738)

bigblockv6 February 4th, 2017 02:13 AM

Re: New Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 66213)
GMC actually Bought Chevy back in 1917 give or take a couple years. I don't remember the exact. GMC was known as General Motors Truck and Chevrolet was an entirely different corporation for a short time. Then GM bought Chevy and all the others through the years and became GMC.

:what:

Not quite so:ahhhh: General motors had already existed before GMC Truck was born. General Motors bought up several truck companies like Rapid, Reliance and Grabowsky which dated to 1902. In 1912 GMC took these truck companies and renamed it GMC Truck:thumbsup: General Motors formed the Chevrolet division there was no involvement with GMC Truck back then.:lolsmack2:

TJ's GMC February 4th, 2017 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 66220)
:what:

Not quite so:ahhhh: General motors had already existed before GMC Truck was born. General Motors bought up several truck companies like Rapid, Reliance and Grabowsky which dated to 1902. In 1912 GMC took these truck companies and renamed it GMC Truck:thumbsup: General Motors formed the Chevrolet division there was no involvement with GMC Truck back then.:lolsmack2:

Guess my books were that detailed. lol GM had been around, but my point was along with yours....Chevy never Bought GM...it was the other way around.

bigblockv6 February 4th, 2017 05:00 AM

The biggest difference is the 305A & B engines were 1 bbl carbureted while the 305C,D & E were the same basic Bendix/Stromberg ww 2bbl. Heads were all the same on these engines, yes valves did get bigger in later years with the 305E and C engines. Horsepower went up with cam profile changes in 1966 with both 305E & C engines, they gained a total of 15 net horsepower, the only changes to these engines 1968 was a new breather cap mounted on the valve cover with a hose that ran to the air cleaner which eliminated the breather assembly and tube from the back of the engine.

TJ's GMC February 4th, 2017 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 66224)
The biggest difference is the 305A & B engines were 1 bbl carbureted while the 305C,D & E were the same basic Bendix/Stromberg ww 2bbl. Heads were all the same on these engines, yes valves did get bigger in later years with the 305E and C engines. Horsepower went up with cam profile changes in 1966 with both 305E & C engines, they gained a total of 15 net horsepower, the only changes to these engines 1968 was a new breather cap mounted on the valve cover with a hose that ran to the air cleaner which eliminated the breather assembly and tube from the back of the engine.

Pete, what exactly were the cam changes? More lift? If so, you know what they were and what they went to? I was guessing around .380

bigblockv6 February 4th, 2017 03:51 PM

I've never seen the specs on the cams but I'm sure there was a slight difference in more lift and duration on the newer cams