6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Calling All Two-Tones (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48812)

1960HDGMC June 26th, 2015 05:44 PM

Re: Calling All Two-Tones

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a 1960 GMC Color Chip Set from GMC. I just got this. It has a line pointing to each color that goes to Olympic White, for Two-Tone jobs. It also features a Black color chip. Most aftermarket paint companies did nor include a Black chip in there sets, if they mentioned that color at all. I have another thread going about the color chips for 6066 GMC trucks. It goes into some detail as I try to sort all the year modes' colors out. Does anyone out there have other year color chips that are from GMC, and not the paint companies? GM

gmccollector June 26th, 2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58446)
SuWeet GMCCollector,
Love them Two-Tones. Did the Mesa Tan 1/2 ton truck get different spear up front right, or is the original just flattened out? Also, is the inside of the bed all White and are the fender wells also White, or Black? If you have one, please consider adding a shot of the bed floor area. I had to wing it on paint placement inside the bed, when I painted my truck. You have a nice pair of awesome looking GMC trucks. There cousins look nice too. I got a soft spot for the 60-61 GMC trucks. Thanks for posting them, GM

Why Thank you 1960HDGMC ! That half ton , well the previous owner threw out the old stainless because of a few dings and realized later he wasn't going to find it again ! Then he put the 62-66 style aluminum trim in its place. I've since collected all the correct stainless for the truck. Both Mesa Tan trucks are white interior beds with white inner rear wheel housings all still original paint. Need to check the build location but I believe both are western built trucks. I have one other 1960 that's Mesa Tan and a custom but its not a two tone and its inner bed is body colored with body color inner fenders .Both these trucks have been in storage for at least 10 years and I cant get at them for pictures, sorry. The 3/4 ton will soon have its original wheels and hubcaps back in place also. The Red 66 has the black inner fenders. Thanks, Jon

1960HDGMC June 26th, 2015 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Jon, I have a theory that there were different standards and practices during any given production year, from plant to plant. I believe some plants did slightly vary on paint breaks and even colors. There are plenty of original wheels on trucks that are different from more commonly seen wheels. I believe these different wheels were sent to southern plants, as I have yet to see them on known western/Pontiac built examples. Does not mean there were none, I simply have not ran across any to date. The White paint going across the top of your tailgate I have seen a time or two. The GMC paint regulations for 1960 do not call for it, and the pictures in the paint regs do not show it. But they exist. I have seen yours and a couple of others. I think whomever was spraying these trucks any given day, might have taken certain artistic liberties with the paint breaks. I do not know a lot about trucks, but I know vintage guitars like there's no tomorrow. Been playing/repairing/studying vintage instruments since I was fresh out of diapers. I can tell you that the biggest maker of guitars in 1959 was Gibson. Gibson guitars were given standardized paint jobs. But there are a couple hundred known originals that received variations, even though they were standard production models. It is documented that this happened on several batches of instruments. The powers that be were PO'd to no end, but the rare Darkburst 1959 Les Pauls are treasured today for there variants, beauty and rarity. Point being, I believe all big outfits painting stuff in the 1950' and 1960's would be expected to deviate to some degree, if only occasionally. I have heard of factory painted BLUE GMC engines. I have seen White letters on tailgates that were "supposed "to be Aluminum. I bet the western sprayer guy thought the white should go across to tie the back of the bed together. It looks logical looking at your picture. GM

gmccollector June 26th, 2015 09:29 PM

I was able to confirm 2 out of three 60-61s , one I cant get inside , two have the "C" for Oakland plant. I've researched these a little and it seems Fremont and Oakland had white rear inner fenders. It might explain the white on the top of the gate on these two also. It seems as if Midwest trucks received the black inner fenders. If you look in the 1960 GMC Data book which I'm assuming is more of a Detroit area book , it shows in one of the pages a 1960 without the white paint on the top of the gate. It also states in the painting regulations that the rear inner fenders are to be black. Were there two different Data books or different painting regulation guides ? I'm not one of the theorists that believes in random , I think I will just do it this way today , unless there was a specific reason. Like the recent 1962 GMC 1700 mile truck , it came with a special order color , that I know existed . As for tailgate lettering , has anyone found a factory white lettered gate ? I have several other GMCs and takeoff tailgates , so far all are argent silver paint. Also in the Data book is a small paragraph on "special paint" to fill out a GMC paint chart and submit that with the truck order. The Blue engine comment , I've heard that, but never seen it. Wheels for 1960, I've only seen two styles for 6 lug , all with clips but different center hubs. Interesting stuff for sure and lots to learn !!

1960HDGMC June 26th, 2015 10:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Jon, I learn something about these old trucks every time I visit this forum. Always interesting to try and sort it all out. I will post a couple pictures of 1960 western trucks on a car hauler. They were taken literally on the west coast. I believe they were GMC in house pictures. They show the White inside area of the pickup bed. However, on the same truck the tailgate is all body color, no white. If there were official variations from plant to plant(or even Eastern/Trans-Mississippi), I would think they would have come to light in period bulletins by now. Again, just because I have not run across them, does not mean that they do not exist. I am always looking, just out of general curiosity more than anything else. But the few pieces of original GMC sourced material on this subject that I have read, have only supported the standard paint breaks. I wish we could find a GMC painter from the period and ask him or her. Till then, I will keep digging. GM

1960HDGMC June 26th, 2015 11:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few other rear views of 1960 GMC trucks(first picture is a 1962 GMC Custom). I have a shot of a load on a western train heading towards the mountains,but I can not locate it. I believe it also includes rear view of these year trucks. I will keep looking. GM

gmccollector June 26th, 2015 11:54 PM

Thank you for posting those pictures GM, and please do not take what I say the wrong way in previous posts. Just to hard to type thoughts and ideas sometimes. But let me ask you this , a staged photo op like the car hauler, looks to be west coast, what are the VINs on those trucks ? My meaning to this is , without a VIN and plant code from the specific truck and paint combination , isn't it speculation as to where it was actually built at that point ? Not trying to argue , just trying to see if there's something more substantial to the debate. I know they came both ways , just looking for the reason why ? Was it a plant variation or was it a change in procedure ? Only way I can see a true explanation is documenting original trucks . Maybe post your plant designation with your original paint combination . Like you said , Would love to see some GMC bulletins on this , GMC Literature , true data, is pretty scarce compared to Chevy.

Onuma June 27th, 2015 12:40 AM

Man...that carrier truck hauling all of those shiny-new pickups has me drooling! So much awesome in one picture.

1960HDGMC June 27th, 2015 12:45 AM

No sweat. I agree that it is hard to converse with any eloquence and nuance by way of typing. I never take any academic discussion personally. That would hamper earnest inquisition, and would not serve to further our craft. I believe the GMC in the coastal truck pictures are western. But I found these pictures with no literature, so this thought is at best extrapolated conjecture based on circumstantial evidence i.e., an educated guess. But it is all I have to go on. If the paint break evolve during a series year, I would expect the serial numbers to be high or low for each variant. The white topped tailgates may be products of one or more plants. The fact that my early production truck did not have it does not prove that none were produced at Pontiac. I do not suspect that any were, but only from lack of evidence to date. To really sort this out, the discussion requires a pool of extant original trucks with serial numbers. My truck was number 1493 produced at Pontiac. I am lucky to have the original owner here in town to talk with. I also grew up inspecting the truck almost weekly, as our town barber was near the Harley shop where my truck lived. But I do not even know if Pontiac ran separate serial number series for big truck and coaches, or if they all shared one series of numbers. Told you I am no expert, haha. I am leaning towards a western plant ("C" code") variant, probably exclusive to the one plant, likely without a separate set of paint regulations. I may6be wrong, but that is my best guess based on what I have gathered to date. I hope to find a "smoking gun" set of paint regs that calls for the white top. I am beating the bushes looking. Thanks,GM

1960HDGMC June 27th, 2015 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onuma (Post 58455)
Man...that carrier truck hauling all of those shiny-new pickups has me drooling! So much ******* in one picture.

I agree, its sicknin, The picture raises as many questions as it answers concerning the 60 model trucks. One of my favorites.

1960HDGMC June 27th, 2015 03:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey Jon, When you get a chance, look and see if your Two-Tone break behind your cabs are like my trucks in these pictures. I expect it would be the same, but if it differs greatly, that would be further supportive of a different painting regulations being used. Also, under the right door on the frame I found these red painted codes, totally hidden under decades of crud. I have never seen or heard of another frame rail having this. I know there must be many more, but no one I know has ever seen it on another truck. Anyone ever seen this? Thanks,GM

GMCNUT June 29th, 2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58459)
Hey Jon, When you get a chance, look and see if your Two-Tone break behind your cabs are like my trucks in these pictures. I expect it would be the same, but if it differs greatly, that would be further supportive of a different painting regulations being used. Also, under the right door on the frame I found these red painted codes, totally hidden under decades of crud. I have never seen or heard of another frame rail having this. I know there must be many more, but no one I know has ever seen it on another truck. Anyone ever seen this? Thanks,GM

My 1960 Frame came from the California Plant and it was a prestine, still factory black super clean frame and I looked everywhere for cool lettering like this and never found anything....did have two small red rings on each torsion bar though

1960HDGMC June 29th, 2015 03:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Those rings are color coded by weight range. The ones with green rings are from 3/4 ton 2WD trucks. I need a set for my truck. No one that I know of ever made replacement torsion bars. If they or GMC did, they are long gone. As all springs weaken over time, I bet 3/4 ton bars have gotten to where 1/2 ton bars were when new. I really want to find a set of green ringed bars and see if it helps. Donors are 60-61 Chevy C-20 3/4 ton 2 WD and GMC 1500 2 WD trucks. Anyone got a set laying around? haha. Here are two more 1960-61 GMC Two-Tone truck images. GM

Vernski July 1st, 2015 08:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the way my truck is painted. not a stock color for 65 but a 77 Corvette color Chartreuse. That's the color it was when I bought it, I thought that it was a stock color because the firewall was painted chartreuse clear down to the frame. Some have said it was a dealer re-paint, I don't know for sure the people that owned it are gone to the dealer in the sky. Anyway that's why I had it re-painted this time. The other color is Arctic white witch also is the tailgate letters silver argent should be the right color maybe when it needs painting again. The way the 2-tone was painted is similar to some that were posted already this is a 65 and is the way they were painted anyway I hope you like it...Vernski:saywhat:

1960HDGMC July 1st, 2015 02:12 PM

Hey Vernski, That is sharp. I remember that color on a Corvette in town. I like the rails too. I made some to help my longbed look less long. It helped, and I like the looks of the wood rails, but they block my vision out the back a little. I really want a set of the old school chrome tube rails, but the current stuff is not real close to the old style. I think GMC made factory option bed rail kits at some point in the 6066 run, but I have only seen pictures. Thanks for adding the pictures, GM

1960HDGMC July 2nd, 2015 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found yet another 60 GMC big truck ad. It too features a "Naner Puddin" Two-Tone. I fill a trend coming on. GM

1960HDGMC July 3rd, 2015 01:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a factory promo shot of a 1962 GMC. Its a Two-Tone Custom, with the 1960 Hood Bird, and almost all the chrome they could throw at it. The plaid flannel shirt may be making a reprisal appearance. It looks similar to the one worn by the driver in the 1960 GMC promo picture of the Red/White 1002 Model. Technically, the shirt is a Two-Tone too. GM

1960HDGMC July 3rd, 2015 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a 60-61 GMC I found online. It is a Custom package equipped truck like mine, only in Flame Red/Olympic White. GM

jbgroby July 4th, 2015 03:07 PM

I too had the red/orange letters on my frame, I'm going to put them Bach. It was the date of manufacture and plant dose I think. All truck probaly had them?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC (Post 58459)

1960HDGMC July 4th, 2015 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jake, That's great to hear. Is your truck an early production number? My truck is number 1492 (1002PN 2493A, serial numbers start at 1001,so 2493 minus 1001 equals 1492)built at Pontiac Plant. I do not know if those red numbers were plant specific, used for years or just early on. There are no other examples of these numbers that have come to light. Surely there are more out there. We just need folks to check for them, and if they have them, document them with pictures. I hope you got pictures of your red numbers. I taped over mine when we painted the frame. They are done apparently with a template, in a really thick red paint. Mine were upside down, on the outside of the frame, under the right door. Here is a picture for reference. Jake, are yours here as well? Everybody check your truck for these when you get a chance. Thanks, GM

1960HDGMC July 4th, 2015 06:14 PM

I have tried to decipher the three lines on my frame. Here they are:
1002&1502STD Easy enough, same frame rail for either 1/2 ton LWB or 3/4 ton LWB, Standard Transmission. Next line: 303598-11 0869 . May be a coincidence, but 11 is the code for the frame in the 1960 GMC Master Parts Book. The 303598 did not appear in the index. 0869 may be the number of the frame rail set completed. Just a guess. The last line is : 9.26.59 That must be the date code for the completed frame rail set, or completed frame. This was most likely painted before the cab went on, as it is pretty tight in there with the cab on. I know the trucks original owner. He told me that he took delivery at the Pontiac Plant in the fall of 1959. It was parked outside. There was close to a foot of snow in the bed. Mr. Grover is 91 now, and he is still mentally sharp as ever. He still owns and opens his Harley dealership daily. This date code and his recollection both serve to reinforce the fact that this was an early production truck. I just wish we had more examples of this painted code on some frames. They seem to be rare, but I bet there are plenty more out there, hiding under 50 years of road crud. I never saw mine until I started cleaning the frame. I almost flipped when I saw the text jumping out of the crud. I cleaned the painted area by hand and taped over the text when we sprayed the frame. Please check your frames. You might get lucky. Please let me know if you do. GM

1960HDGMC July 12th, 2015 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another Two-Tone pickup on a big truck ad. GM

1960HDGMC July 23rd, 2015 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Ozzie and Harriet's GMC Two-Tone. Its a 1962 Model 1002 Wideside Custom, with an 8 foot Alaskan Camper. Episode 349 called "June and the great outdoors" Its on YouTube. Enjoy,GM

GMCNUT July 24th, 2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmccollector (Post 58451)
I was able to confirm 2 out of three 60-61s , one I cant get inside , two have the "C" for Oakland plant. I've researched these a little and it seems Fremont and Oakland had white rear inner fenders. It might explain the white on the top of the gate on these two also. It seems as if Midwest trucks received the black inner fenders. If you look in the 1960 GMC Data book which I'm assuming is more of a Detroit area book , it shows in one of the pages a 1960 without the white paint on the top of the gate. It also states in the painting regulations that the rear inner fenders are to be black. Were there two different Data books or different painting regulation guides ? I'm not one of the theorists that believes in random , I think I will just do it this way today , unless there was a specific reason. Like the recent 1962 GMC 1700 mile truck , it came with a special order color , that I know existed . As for tailgate lettering , has anyone found a factory white lettered gate ? I have several other GMCs and takeoff tailgates , so far all are argent silver paint. Also in the Data book is a small paragraph on "special paint" to fill out a GMC paint chart and submit that with the truck order. The Blue engine comment , I've heard that, but never seen it. Wheels for 1960, I've only seen two styles for 6 lug , all with clips but different center hubs. Interesting stuff for sure and lots to learn !!

Sure appreciate you sharing the pictures of your white-topped tailgate. That is very interesting. Chevrolet reversed the paint scheme where the body color was up top and white was the lower body color in 58-60, and in 1961 they went to a solid color tailgate. the top of the 58-60 tailgates were upper body color so it is interesting to see a GMC gate like this when so many did not have this white band across the tailgate - the two-tone 1960 GMC in the GM Photo Store is a more typical example with solid gate, so I have wondered if GMC did the same as Chevy and axed the two-tone tailgate after 1960.

1960HDGMC July 24th, 2015 03:44 PM

Hey GMCNut, Do you know if the paint break was shared by GMC and Chevrolet, on the "Two-Tone tailgates"? Just wandering if two independent divisions addressed the paint break in the exact same way. Also wonder if Chevrolet also has the alternate paint scheme thing happening in this era. There are certain differences in standard application of paint beginning to come to light with 1960 GMC. It looks like western plants have produced trucks with substantial variation from the presumed universal 1960 GMC Paint Regulations. Period photos and original trucks show us some of the differences. Big paint stripes along tailgate top sections of Two-Tone trucks, and different inner bed paint schemes. May be on purpose from GM corporate level, GMC Divisional level, individual plant level, or will of the painter. We just do not know, yet, what caused these very interesting (and cool looking) variants. If we all keep digging, maybe we can find the smoking gun. GM

jbgroby September 14th, 2015 01:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got the bed done for your Two-Tone page. I followed as close as possible to one of the paint patterns. I hope this helps some guys. the wheel tubs, strips and boards will be semi-gloss black. The insteps are 'probably' supposed to be chrome or pot metal - but I think white looks great (at least till I can afford to have them 're-chromed'.

1960HDGMC September 14th, 2015 02:14 PM

Hey Jake, You are making positive forward progress. I know you are getting keyed up. It will not be long and you will have it all buttoned up. Looking good. Greg

jbgroby September 14th, 2015 02:29 PM

Oh yeah!!!!!,

sodly November 17th, 2015 03:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one...

1960HDGMC November 17th, 2015 11:57 PM

Thanks Sodly, One of my favorite Two-Tone GMC truck pictures. Note the "Custom" package,minus the side body trim. Also the wheels are painted main body color, which is called for only on suburbans of that series. Also the inner tailgate appears to be solid white. I wonder if this was a pre-production truck, or just another West Coast variant. Most intriguing example. Do you have any information concerning this picture? Thanks for posting,GM

sodly November 18th, 2015 01:02 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have any information. I collect factory photos of 60-66 trucks and this is one of them.

GMCDAC November 19th, 2015 01:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
About a month ago my sister sent me this one to scan. Taken in 1961 or '62. Mom and Dad's two-tone 1960 GMC Suburban, same one that's in my avatar. We had just driven from western South Dakota to Georgia to visit my Grandparents. That' my Grandmother.

DAC

gmccollector December 1st, 2015 05:26 PM

Heres a sneak peak of my 63 GMC Two Tone. Not quite finished though. Palomino Tan and Ivory.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...28961%2014.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...4/IMG_2856.jpg
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...4/IMG_2887.jpg

Funky61 December 1st, 2015 05:53 PM

WOW! Great color and a Great Truck; Kudos to you GMCCollector.

GMCNUT December 1st, 2015 06:26 PM

WOW - Jon, that truck is awesome. Love Palomino Tan on the old GMC's. I just bought a super rarely equipped 66 suburban I can't wait to show the group and I am going to paint it Palomino and White like your truck

gmccollector December 2nd, 2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky61 (Post 59968)
WOW! Great color and a Great Truck; Kudos to you GMCCollector.

Thank you Funky61 !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 59971)
WOW - Jon, that truck is awesome. Love Palomino Tan on the old GMC's. I just bought a super rarely equipped 66 suburban I can't wait to show the group and I am going to paint it Palomino and White like your truck

Thank you Steve ! Its a color that is growing on me , I think the off white really compliments this color. Cant wait to see your new purchase and option list. Was it originally Palomino Tan ?

GMCNUT December 2nd, 2015 05:10 PM

No this one was that plain paper sack tan - sort of like khaki pants I guess. A little boring for me so I wont repaint it that color. Its been repainted a similarly boring brown color sprayed directly onto the original Tan like they used to do back in the day, so gotta get this one sprayed in the Spring to any other color combination but leaning to Palomino because its an old Pontiac color shared with GMC which hints back to the 1950's glory days of GMC when it was closely aligned with Pontiac plus its in the same color family as the Tan color that came on it vs Red, Green, Blue etc.....posting some pics now

Ed Snyder December 2nd, 2015 05:18 PM

Just don't leave your Palamino Tan trucks out in the sun too long. They turn pink after a few years!

GMCNUT December 2nd, 2015 05:47 PM

Just posted the new 66 GMC Suburban story and pictures on the General Discussion board. If I can get this suburban painted as nice as Jon's 63 on this thread using the same colors I will be in heaven

GMCNUT December 2nd, 2015 05:50 PM

Jon, I seriously would appreciate you sharing the paint brand and codes you used when you bought your Palomino Tan and White colors - would help me tremendously when we go to shoot this Suburban in the Spring.