6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Interiors, Dash, Lights and Electrical (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   GMC for sale on Hemmings - Weatherstripping question (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49708)

jbgroby November 7th, 2016 09:49 PM

GMC for sale on Hemmings - Weatherstripping question

1 Attachment(s)
As I was going through the pictures I noticed something odd, the owner had weather striping ALL the way around his door, but just the cab. I've never seen that before and don't know if it "correct", but if it works, it works. However, I do question that the nut and bolt redo hit $80.000, not calling him out, just hard to imagine - shop labor rates must be really high where he is at.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...d/1858491.html

GMCDAC November 8th, 2016 11:54 PM

Re: GMC for sale on Hemmings - Weatherstripping question

1 Attachment(s)
I was also wondering if the tailgate is correct for 1960? Definitely not like yours Jake---

DAC

bigblockv6 November 9th, 2016 03:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's a 64 and up tailgate and even the tailgate letters are painted white which is the wrong color, should be aluminum. Here's the correct tailgate from an old pic of my fathers 62, it was taken somewhere around 1964 or so.The 1960 Fenderside tailgate logo was a carry over from the 55-59 Fenderside models:upyes:

GMCDAC November 9th, 2016 03:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 64620)
That's a 64 and up tailgate and even the tailgate letters are painted white which is the wrong color, should be aluminum. Here's the correct tailgate from an old pic of my fathers 62, it was taken somewhere around 1964 or so.The 1960 Fenderside tailgate logo was a carry over from the 55-59 Fenderside models:upyes:

Thanks Pete. Your father's '62 has a tailgate that looks like the 2 I have from '55 GMC 2nd design.

DAC

bigblockv6 November 9th, 2016 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 64622)
Thanks Pete. Your father's '62 has a tailgate that looks like the 2 I have from '55 GMC 2nd design.

DAC

"Had" the 62 is long gone:ahhhh: My father basically had the GMC dealer sell it for him back in Dec 1967. The deal was they were hard pressed on selling him a new truck, the half ton was just too light duty for his needs and he was breaking it constantly except for the 305D V6. He told the dealer I'll buy a new truck if you sell my old one, three months later on March 1st 1968 he took delivery of the 68 KM-2500:upyes: Your 55 2nd design tailgate was used right up to 1963 then the logo was changed in 1964 to the same script used on 1959-66 Wideside tailgates:thumbsup:

GMCDAC November 9th, 2016 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 64623)
"Had" the 62 is long gone:ahhhh: My father basically had the GMC dealer sell it for him back in Dec 1967. The deal was they were hard pressed on selling him a new truck, the half ton was just too light duty for his needs and he was breaking it constantly except for the 305D V6. He told the dealer I'll buy a new truck if you sell my old one, three months later on March 1st 1968 he took delivery of the 68 KM-2500:upyes: Your 55 2nd design tailgate was used right up to 1963 then the logo was changed in 1964 to the same script used on 1959-66 Wideside tailgates:thumbsup:

I assumed the '62 was probably gone but worded that improperly. Thank-you for that info! The tailgate on the right in my pics is planned to someday replace the tailgate currently on my '55 on the left, never got around to it yet.

Looks like a successful hunting trip in your pic? One of those men must be your Dad. I would think that the guy closest to the tailgate as the man by the cab looks like Buddy Holly. Oh yeah Buddy was long gone by the time this pic was taken unfortunately!

I would LOVE to have that back bumper on your Dad's '62 also!

DAC

bigblockv6 November 9th, 2016 02:03 PM

Neither of them are my father, he was the one that took the pic:thumbsup:

GMCNUT November 11th, 2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 64609)
As I was going through the pictures I noticed something odd, the owner had weather striping ALL the way around his door, but just the cab. I've never seen that before and don't know if it "correct", but if it works, it works. However, I do question that the nut and bolt redo hit $80.000, not calling him out, just hard to imagine - shop labor rates must be really high where he is at.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...d/1858491.html

Well, all 1960-61 GMC models did indeed have a second door mounted weatherstrip in the shape of the one you show here, but they attached to the door with screws at either end and did not circle the entire inner door shell in this way - just 2/3 of it - starts around the lower vent window somewhere and goes up and over the door window area and down the side of the inner door to a point and stops. Not sure why this owner made it go all the way around

jbgroby November 12th, 2016 01:06 PM

Yep, I knew about that one and have put it on my ride as well