6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Best color match for engine? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48906)

Ancientx July 5th, 2015 08:24 PM

Re: Best color match for engine?

I should also mention my plan is to soda blast it down to remove any surface rust.

Sure as h@ll don't want any of that getting in the motor.

AZKen July 6th, 2015 02:15 AM

Tape and gently hammer edge to trim. It's not a big deal to get paint on the surface anyway. It will wire wheel off. Just not inside. Leave valve covers on as a mask. Then blast and paint them after. Time to change all expansion plugs.

Ancientx July 6th, 2015 09:09 PM

Expansion plugs being the correct term for "freeze" plugs?
Wouldn't the blasting media cut the tape? Multilayer? Or just be careful? :)

AZKen July 8th, 2015 07:05 AM

Yes freeze plugs. Blast with manifolds on, paint with them off and masked, is what I'm thinking, but just a thought. Never blasted a motor. Don't like the idea much.

Clyde the 65 July 6th, 2016 11:06 PM

Did you ever find anything on the GM engine paint number or current matching color other than the Dupli color mentioned in the thread?

TJ's GMC July 7th, 2016 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Far as I know, Ford red or Cadillac Red is the closest. I got ford red for mine and it seems close, little to orange imop though. Manifold was painted ford red.

bigblockv6 July 8th, 2016 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde the 65 (Post 62656)
Did you ever find anything on the GM engine paint number or current matching color other than the Dupli color mentioned in the thread?

OEM Paints makes the correct color but their prices are outrageous. I looked into it several years back, you have to buy a whole case of spray cans which will run close to $300. I've made my own custom mix in Catalyzed Acrylic Urethane, matched to a very low mileage later model V6 crate engine. Somewhere there is a formula for the color, I've seen restored 55-59 GMC's with their version of the Pontiac V8 painted the same color as the later GMC V6's. Otherwise Duplicolor 1605 Ford Red is the easiest way to go:ok:

Charon July 8th, 2016 07:33 AM

I have the formula. Any paint store can match..And why would you use auto paint?? Catalyzed acrylic urethane??? On an engine. Really!

bigblockv6 July 8th, 2016 01:47 PM

I been using it automotive acrylic urethane for years on engines with success and I know many others that do too. Automotive paint manufacturers actually do have paint formulas for most engine colors too. , overall it's better than anything in a spray can.:ahhhh:

Charon July 10th, 2016 04:07 AM

I will ask my supplier about that. Considering I buy $150,000 in engine parts a year from him. And he sells me engine paint in gallons. I am sure we will get a giggle out of this post.