6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Best color match for engine? (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48906)

Ancientx June 30th, 2015 08:53 PM

Best color match for engine?

Closest i can find is Chevy red. Local paint guru basically said good luck. :/

AZKen June 30th, 2015 09:42 PM

Re: Best color match for engine?

Most of the guys say Duplicolor 1605 Ford Red. I used that, they are correct, it looks pretty close.

Ancientx July 1st, 2015 01:14 AM

Thanks AZKen! I think I'm gonna owe you a 12 pack of non-shwilly beer by the time I'm done with this! :D :D :D

Jeannie July 1st, 2015 01:21 AM

As AZKen stated Ford red is similar. NAPA will match colors for you for free as well if the old color is still visible. If you succeed and find a good match please share the code with the group.

Have a great evening,

-Jeannie

6066 GMC Club

AZKen July 1st, 2015 07:49 AM

I get pleasure out of regurgitating what I learn here and from outside guru's. Personally, I know nothing....or very little. Nice to see you are wanting to get the color right and are asking for help. As Jeannie says, color matching a good original painted part would be neat.

1960HDGMC July 2nd, 2015 10:30 PM

Hey Ancient, You might want to talk to BigBlockV6,, a member of this forum. He helped me with paint color issues in the past. I have often wondered, given that GMC was very thrifty by nature, why they would use a separate color for motors. Body colors I can see, to have something exclusive to offer. But motor color seems like it would be cheaper to go with whatever they had been using to that time. I have a thread with all the 6066GMC paint chips. I do not think the motor color was ever discussed within them. I also have a few sets of paint regulations for 6066 GMC. Again, no mention of motor color. Some piece of paper out there has the color code that GMC used on the motors, but I know of no one who has found it to date. I am always looking for this kind of stuff. If I get a code ,I will post it here. Good Luck,GM

Ancientx July 3rd, 2015 04:04 AM

Thanks for ask the info and advice. Since this is to be engine paint i can't get a color match in regular paint it'd just burn off. :\ I've checked around.
I've got good paint, mostly, under all the grease. But as i want to do some touch up i was hoping I'd get lucky.
I'll go ask NAPA some questions tomorrow. If no dice, i guess its ferd red.

AZKen July 3rd, 2015 06:52 AM

I guess we better put in this thread that 1605 Ford Red is an Engine Enamel.

1960HDGMC July 4th, 2015 03:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Ancient, I have been digging and came up with a GMC part number for the red engine paint.
The number is: 2233843.
This GMC number for this color appears in the 1960 and 1965 GMC Accessories Catalogs. I bet you can plug that number in to PaintRef and get a match. Good Luck,GM

Ancientx July 5th, 2015 08:21 PM

Thanks! That'll help a lot. :)

On another related note; as this is the 1st time I've done this, what's the best way of painting this beast?

Should i cut some little plywood covers& bolt them on to cover the intake/exhaust ports? Should i just use some good tape trimmed to fit?