6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Very interesting V6 Carburetor (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49751)

GMCNUT December 1st, 2016 03:56 PM

Very interesting V6 Carburetor

Check out the V6 in this truck for sale on Craigslist - what an interesting carburetor choice for a V6 - anyone ever seen one with this carb to know anything about it? Auto choke and appears to maybe be a bigger CFM than a WW. Pretty interesting since I didn't think you had too many choice on carbs that would fit a 305's intake

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5873035885.html

bigblockv6 December 2nd, 2016 03:00 AM

Re: Very interesting V6 Carburetor

It appears to be a Ford 2bbl carb that should be at 350CFM, earlier versions up to about 1971 were Branded as Autolite carbs, in 72 they became Motorcraft:thumbsup:

bobdylan December 2nd, 2016 03:49 AM

You would be good a trivial pursuit. I was going to go to a lot of work to figure out what it was. Thanks for the info. I like to learn something new every day to make up for the thing I am starting to forget.

BobBray December 2nd, 2016 08:40 AM

Motorcraft 2100 series for sure. Very good carb., on lots of Ford trucks and quite a few Jeeps too.

TJ's GMC December 2nd, 2016 06:03 PM

That V6 just made that chevy double in value. lol

bigblockv6 December 3rd, 2016 04:17 AM

It's funny every so often you'll encounter a 60-66 Chivy that's been converted to a GMC V6, it is rare:ahhhh: My first encounter was at the age of 16 in Auburn California, it was a 64-66 Chivy pulling into an alignment shop, I heard it and wanted to see what was up, the owner popped the hood and it was a 305 V6. My father and I both commented to the owner he had a great engine in his truck, it seemed that he had just bought it.

TJ's GMC December 3rd, 2016 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 65100)
It's funny every so often you'll encounter a 60-66 Chivy that's been converted to a GMC V6, it is rare:ahhhh: My first encounter was at the age of 16 in Auburn California, it was a 64-66 Chivy pulling into an alignment shop, I heard it and wanted to see what was up, the owner popped the hood and it was a 305 V6. My father and I both commented to the owner he had a great engine in his truck, it seemed that he had just bought it.

First time I had heard of the big v6 was when I was looking for an engine for my 66 chevy. Wanted something torquey and a buddy of mine recommended the 305(He has like 10 of them sitting in a shed). haha Course I ended up hotrodding the 292, but always kept the v6 in my mind. Never even looked it up though...until the day I got Crustine. :upyes:

surfamtn December 8th, 2016 05:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok.... more trivia:

What's this...

And why did the previous owner wire open the throttle pump. (The choke cable was siezed and doesn't slide)

BobBray December 8th, 2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfamtn (Post 65192)
Ok.... more trivia:

What's this...

And why did the previous owner wire open the throttle pump. (The choke cable was siezed and doesn't slide)

Rochester 2GV, likely off a late 60's-early 70's Chevy 307. That carb. is supposed to use a well type automatic choke, no idea why someone would try to attach a cable to it. Has all the hallmarks of a use-what's-laying-around-don't-spend-any-money hack job. Probably was a real runner!

surfamtn December 8th, 2016 09:48 PM

Great....
Which is a divorced choke set up right? The choke is supposed to be on the manifold. Of course there is no choke on a 305e manifold.
Ha!
This thing did actually run ok, rather rich tho. I guess I'm shopping for a new carb now lol.

Thanks

bigblockv6 December 8th, 2016 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfamtn (Post 65199)
Great....
Which is a divorced choke set up right? The choke is supposed to be on the manifold. Of course there is no choke on a 305e manifold.
Ha!
This thing did actually run ok, rather rich tho. I guess I'm shopping for a new carb now lol.

Thanks

All GMC V6 engines came with a manual cable operated choke but you do come across some that have had other carbs installed by previous owners that have an automatic choke that is useless on these engines. In 1967 there was a shortage:ahhhh: of Bendix-Stromberg ww carbs because Chrysler used a lot of them on their 318 engines so GMC did install Rochester 2G carbs on some 305 V6 engines but those had the manual choke.:teehee:

Sponge December 21st, 2016 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBray (Post 65068)
Motorcraft 2100 series for sure. Very good carb., on lots of Ford trucks and quite a few Jeeps too.

I can't see the picture but does it fit without modification?

bigblockv6 December 21st, 2016 11:39 PM

The Motorcraft 2100 uses the same base pattern as the Holley 2300 series, so it will require the same adapters as well. For the smaller base you will need the Mr. Gasket 1937, the larger Magnum base of course will require a custom adapter.