6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Oil Pressure Question (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=47807)

Nate September 28th, 2013 08:27 PM

Oil Pressure Question

Hello Everyone,
I have rebuilt a 305E and it is on the engine stand, It has a 5 qt. pan. I installed a kit in the oil pump and it appeared to have good flow when I tested it in a pan of oil. I have the pump on the engine, oil pan installed and engine filled to proper level . I have installed a temporary gauge and run the oil pump shaft (clock wise) with a drill. I get good flow at the oil pressure fitting but when I connect the gauge (new mechanical gauge) it will not build pressure. My question:
Is it necessary for the engine to be rotating to build pressure or does it seem that I just have a bad oil pump?

Any help would be appreciated.
Nate
Southeast Kansas

BarryGMC September 28th, 2013 10:10 PM

Re: Oil Pressure Question

Not knowing anything about this engine, I will hazard a guess. Oil pump pressure relief valve is assembled wrong or missing or maybe stuck open. ?????

Nate September 29th, 2013 12:47 AM

Thanks Barry,

It must have been the relief stuck open or air locked, I took the spin on oil filter off and turned the pump with a drill and it pumped out a good flow in a bucket, replaced the filter and it pumped up to 60psi, I guess that I will go with it but watch oil pickup pressure closely after a oil change.

Foley September 29th, 2013 09:10 PM

Nate, you mentioned taking off the spin on oil filter. Did you initially change out the cannister oil filter housing to a spin on? If so, where'd you find one? Tks

Nate September 30th, 2013 12:38 AM

The engine had the spin on filter when I bought it, the housing has a GMC logo on it and the number 2481665, I do not know if this is a GMC part number or a casting number. I hope this helps you.

Nate September 30th, 2013 01:44 AM

I just noticed that Jeannie has a excellent picture album of spin on oil filter housings, very informative, way to go Jeannie!

Foley September 30th, 2013 04:05 AM

Yup, there are three albums posted. It's been a big help to be able to look at all those pictures. I was wishing it would say what companies made them. Hoping to find a lead as to where I could purchase one. Thank you Nate for the part number off your housing.

705jmguy October 1st, 2013 02:54 AM

hi nate

would like to know where u got the main crank bearings and rod bearing for your rebuilt 305?
thanks Jm

OTE=Nate;50547]Hello Everyone,
I have rebuilt a 305E and it is on the engine stand, It has a 5 qt. pan. I installed a kit in the oil pump and it appeared to have good flow when I tested it in a pan of oil. I have the pump on the engine, oil pan installed and engine filled to proper level . I have installed a temporary gauge and run the oil pump shaft (clock wise) with a drill. I get good flow at the oil pressure fitting but when I connect the gauge (new mechanical gauge) it will not build pressure. My question:
Is it necessary for the engine to be rotating to build pressure or does it seem that I just have a bad oil pump?

Any help would be appreciated.
Nate
Southeast Kansas[/QUOTE]

Nate October 3rd, 2013 01:54 AM

Hi jm
The main bearings I got from Kanter Auto Products, they are a Michigan Engine Bearing MBS 2521.std. The rod bearings my machinist got from goenginepro.com and they were a Sealed Power brand, part number 2400P I looked on Rockauto web site and they also have the Sealed Power 2400P rod bearings, but do list main bearings for the 305E. The rod bearings were also std.

705jmguy October 3rd, 2013 11:11 AM

good morning Nate

thank you so much for your prompt reply, and for the info

as you did not need over size, I would assume that your crankshaft measured out as ok?

thanks again JM