6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   First project (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48274)

Leeadamj6 July 9th, 2014 05:31 AM

First project

Hey everyone, I recently purchased my grandfathers 1964 gmc from my grandmother. I am the third generation owner of the truck. My great-grandfather bought it brand new 30 miles from where I live. It's really cool because I have all the paperwork dating back to the sale of the truck in 1964. It is in really great shape but needs some touch up. I want to make sure I do it justice so any suggestions are appreciated. I will post pictures tomorrow

Ed Snyder July 10th, 2014 02:32 AM

Re: First project

Welcome to the forum Lee Adam! That's great that you're able to keep your great-grandpa's GMC in the family! Documentation like you've got makes the truck even more meaningful. Hopefully you can preserve the truck and the documentation for future generations too!

I recently acquired the 1965 GMC that my Dad bought new, and got lots of documentation with it too. Someday I hope to be able to pass it on to my son. Thank goodness he's a "car & truck guy" like me!

GMCDAC July 10th, 2014 03:35 AM

I am looking forward to more posts and pics of BOTH of your GMC's. I too have a long-time family GMC I got from my Mom after she drove it 30 years. Not for this forum though.

Leeadamj6, it is tomorrow now---where's the pics??? Just kidding! Welcome from the other Dakota!

DAC

Leeadamj6 July 10th, 2014 04:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Having trouble posting multiple pictures?? Here's one for now Nothing has been done to the pickup as far as restoration goes. Excited to get a start.

Leeadamj6 July 10th, 2014 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another pic. Has identical rust on each front fender and a couple dings here and there but other than that it's in great shape. 43,000 miles on odometer. The 305e with 3 on the tree runs perfect

GMC432v6 July 10th, 2014 09:05 AM

There's nothing like that, family history And a NICE GMC to boot!

Hard to believe some poor people can look at this ol' stuff and just see iron.

Stories like these of things ending up with people who care to take care of them / pass them on make me smile.

Andice July 12th, 2014 08:18 PM

What a great looking truck! You asked for a little input/suggestions so here I go. Get the one or two original hubcaps that you are missing. Repair your original front fenders instead of replacing with aftermarket. Install an inline fuel filter and change all of the fluids. Best of luck with your truck!

Andice July 12th, 2014 08:24 PM

The front fender brace at the rear of the front fenders are attached with pinch clips. These braces can be easily removed once the front fenders are off of the truck for repair. Often you will find that the braces have collected a huge load of mud/dirt/gravel/leaves which then retains any and all rain water/car wash water/snow melt for days after - right where the fenders are rusted out. You can clean out all of this gunk and seal off the upper section of the fender with some spare door weatherstrip.

Leeadamj6 July 17th, 2014 05:00 AM

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it. I'm sure that's what happened to the fenders. I also think I should have it repainted because it looks like grandpa used some brake cleaner over the hood.