6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My 1966 GMC Fleetside Restoration (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48468)

66FLEETSIDE November 16th, 2014 03:05 AM

My 1966 GMC Fleetside Restoration

I am in the beginning stages of my restoration and starting to think about the gas tank relocation. I want to use the existing filler location but relocate a gas tank under the bed in front of the rear axle. Is there anyone that can recommend a tank that will fit in that location inside the frame rail? I have seen some pics that show using a S10 gas tank. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

David R Leifheit November 17th, 2014 02:55 AM

Re: My 1966 GMC Fleetside Restoration

Doubtful you will find anything that will work.
The truck isn't designed for a tank inside the frame rails.
*If* you were going to locate a tank between the frame and the rear fender, I am certain you could easily find one. I've had a couple trucks with extra tanks.

I am not quite sure you can do what you are suggesting anyway. Filler still on the cab, so the fill tube runs behind the seat, through a hole in the back of the cab and to the tank? That's a lot of plumbing. It would need to be a rubber tube as well to allow for movement of the cab.

What is wrong with the stock location?

bigblockv6 November 17th, 2014 03:18 AM

I've heard of and seen some conversions that you can use a 69-72 Jimmy/Blazer gas tank in the location in the rear where usually the spare tire is mounted.

David R Leifheit November 17th, 2014 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 55433)
I've heard of and seen some conversions that you can use a 69-72 Jimmy/Blazer gas tank in the location in the rear where usually the spare tire is mounted.

I think that is a given. Behind the axle you don't usually have to worry about the exhaust and definitely not the driveline.

But since he wants to keep the filler in the same place... that would be one heck of a lot of tubing!

66FLEETSIDE November 17th, 2014 03:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. I don't want the tank in the stock location because it is inside the cab. I have thought about putting the tank behind the rear axle, but all conversions I have seen show the tank extending lower than the rear bumper(other than custom made tanks) and to use the stock filler location, you are right that would be a heck of a lot of tubing!!!

Andice November 17th, 2014 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is where they put a tank on my '66 parts truck!

6066gmcguy November 19th, 2014 02:04 AM

I use to have a 1973 Dodge with dual tanks, one behind the seat, one under the cab/bed outside the frame rail, both tanks filled from the cab filler loaction thanks to a Y pipe. so I guess it could be done with a under the body tank, but I think your looking at outside the frame for an install.

66FLEETSIDE November 19th, 2014 03:41 PM

Andice, I am not able to see your pic. Can you email it to me? bbynum@sc.rr.com
Not sure why I am not able to see the pics on this site.

Clyde November 20th, 2014 04:23 PM

In 1964 I purchased a new 3/4T GMC P/U with a 305 V6, 4spd, I used it to tow my enclosed trailer that housed my top fuel dragster, along with an aluminum 8 foot slide in camper. I went to a junk yard and purchased a 16 gallon rectangular gas tank and installed under the floor on the passenger side. I made brackets and mounted it to the frame, cut a hole through the floor for a connector pipe to the original tank. A friend soldered a piece of copper pipe to the corner of the original tank and one to the top of the remote tank, I connected them with a piece of rubber hose. I used the sending unit in the new tank and filled through the original filler, now had 36 gallons of fuel at 10 MPG. This was a big deal when driving on a Saturday night from drag strip to drag strip.