6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Garage Art (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48559)

GMCNUT December 31st, 2014 06:08 PM

Garage Art

1 Attachment(s)
I have been threatening to hang some "garage art" in my building where I store my trucks, and yesterday I finally had time to hang some of it - might be fun to start this thread and have everyone else join in with their own garage art pics? Post away!

6066gmcguy December 31st, 2014 11:25 PM

Re: Garage Art

4 Attachment(s)
I Don't have a Garage so I don't know if this counts.

I got an old exit sign from a friend and the back was blank, so I added GMC letters and a V12 emblem.

How about a clock made from a Diff cover?

tdeming January 1st, 2015 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine.

GMCDAC January 1st, 2015 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCNUT (Post 56156)
I have been threatening to hang some "garage art" in my building where I store my trucks, and yesterday I finally had time to hang some of it - might be fun to start this thread and have everyone else join in with their own garage art pics? Post away!

Very cool thread, Steve! I need to paint me one of those signs! Are you gonna wire the headlights and marker lights?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy (Post 56157)
I Don't have a Garage so I don't know if this counts.

I got an old exit sign from a friend and the back was blank, so I added GMC letters and a V12 emblem.

How about a clock made from a Diff cover?

Dig this stuff too, Jolly! When my wife and I got our '72 GMC back in 1979, it had those "SignalStat" clearance lights on it, still does actually! I parted out a '64 Chevy pickup in 2012 that had 5 more on it and grabbed them then we were cleaning out an office at work and I found one! They are cool as heck (IMO). The blue, clear and red lenses are awesome! All mine are amber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdeming (Post 56159)
Here's mine.

Love that sign and your truck!

DAC

GMCNUT January 2nd, 2015 06:50 PM

I thought about wiring up power to the lights, but actually am not sure how to go about that exactly - guess you'd have to use a 12V converter and just leave it permanently plugged in and flip the converter switch when you wanted the headlights to come on?

GMCNUT January 2nd, 2015 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMCDAC (Post 56160)
Very cool thread, Steve! I need to paint me one of those signs!

DAC

So this sign is one of two original 1960 GMC dealership porcelain signs I was lucky enough to get - the other is in my home garage - will shoot pics of it and a cool service department poster I have in there and add to this thread

GMCNUT January 2nd, 2015 07:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few shots of my garage art collection in my home garage - the Service Dept poster is one of my favorites and is from April of 1965. The 1960 porcelain sign has rust marks from being hung outside the dealership on a pole. The 42" round Orange & Blue sign dates back to the 30's and 40's and was used through 1959 when GMC revamped its logo for the release of its new V6 powered trucks in 1960. I had to show the super rare original cardboard dealership poster of the beautiful Tartan Turquiose & white 1960 Chevy Apache too even though its not a GMC...I hung 1955-56 and 58-59 GMC hood emblems, a 1960 era Coca Cola clock, and a collection of unusually nice or NOS hubcaps and a few fender emblems etc in between the large art pieces....its a start anyway

6066gmcguy January 3rd, 2015 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To wire the lights you will need a 12 volt power supply, but make sure its will supply about 10 amps. then wire it to a plug with a light sensor so it will only come on when its dark, or also a motion sensor. I have my out side light wire to both, so they only work at night and when there is movement.

one side of my house point right down the highway, I was thinking of putting one up on the wall there so every one coming down the road would thing there was oncoming traffic, then they got to the bend in the road anyway.

I also still have the Chevy grill out of the old LCF truck I stripped. below is a pic of my Grill collection.