6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   correct V6 temp sending unit KEM TW7 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49018)

GMCNUT September 15th, 2015 06:48 PM

correct V6 temp sending unit KEM TW7

Hey guys - I am struggling to find a source for a KEM TW7 or equivalent temp sending unit that is the correct threaded stud type that came originally on our V6 engines vs the Chevrolet type with a slip on non-threaded stud on top.

I think it was Lewis Matkin who ordered and sent me the last one I had, and now I need to buy a few more - does anyone know where to get the correct threaded stud version of these sender units?

FetchMeAPepsi September 15th, 2015 07:03 PM

Re: correct V6 temp sending unit KEM TW7

This isn't gospel but for me, I had to modify mine with a resistor to work. I couldn't find any of the original style anywhere that matched exactly. The good news is it's an easy modification that will let you use the new temp senders without any problems.

You might find some NOS on Ebay, but that's always sketchy. Maybe someone knows of a repop somewhere.

:goodluck:

AZKen September 15th, 2015 07:11 PM

It may cross to AIRTEX 1T1062. May be a gauge type. Assume you need indicator type.

GMCNUT September 15th, 2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 59207)
It may cross to AIRTEX 1T1062. May be a gauge type. Assume you need indicator type.

Well, all 60-66 GMC's came with the same temp gauge as far as I know, so not sure what you mean by "indicator type"? It has't been that long ago when Lewis sent me the correct one - seems like he worked at NAPA but not sure if he is still a member here? Anyone know how to reach Lewis?

AZKen September 15th, 2015 08:00 PM

Indicator or Idiot light, is what I am referring to. I didn't know if some years had "indicator/idiot" lights and some had gauges. The senders would be different. If all 60-66 had gauges, that answers it. If the one I listed has the correct threads and ohmage, you don't need Lewis.

GMCNUT September 15th, 2015 08:54 PM

Ken, I googled the Airtex number you gave me and BOOM! the exact right one I needed. So very much appreciate this info - and now all the other members know which one to get for their engines as well. Thank you - I have the part on order through Ebay

AZKen September 15th, 2015 09:06 PM

It looks correct, but hope the threads that screw into motor are correct and the ohmage is correct for your gauge. Please let us know if it works.

FetchMeAPepsi September 16th, 2015 02:42 AM

I didn't even know they still existed! Watching this one. AZKen :yourock:

cbeeker September 20th, 2015 10:36 PM

Speaking of gauges... Is there a way to confirm "Low Oil" indicator is functioning. When I start my 64 3/4 ton the Generator light glows then turns off, but no such glowing on Low oil indicator. Bulb is good but wonder about dash light. Plan to add separate oil gauge under dash later... Like to know oil pressure.

FetchMeAPepsi September 20th, 2015 11:02 PM

The oil bulb should glow too at startup.