6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   West Coast Mini-Meet (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49835)

Ed Snyder January 9th, 2017 06:30 AM

West Coast Mini-Meet

"Plan a Mini-Meet..... Gives me a reason to travel....Rusty"

Well, if Rusty wants to travel, I guess we should try to plan another mini-meet. Our previous West Coast mini-meets have been pretty successful, so maybe we can do it again.

Previous West Coast mini-meets have been at Rick Rusconi's house in Elk Grove (just south of Sacramento, CA), at Bob Cochran's in Redding, CA, at the Antique Powerland just north of Salem, OR http://antiquepowerland.com/heritage-museums/, and here in Medford in 2009. The last one was almost 3 years ago at Bob's in Redding.

As long as we can get enough folks to commit to attending one somewhere between Portland, OR, and Sacramento, I'll definitely be there. Anybody out there want to propose a location? Hopefully we can get something going for this coming summer. It's not too early to start planning!

TJ's GMC January 9th, 2017 07:07 PM

Re: West Coast Mini-Meet

I'm in, course ya'all know me....I'd be voting my place or somewhere's in Grants Pass or Medford so I could drive the 64 to the meet. :teehee:

6066gmcguy January 12th, 2017 06:37 AM

Being I statred a new job again this year, no time off for me for travelin', I'll be doing my yearly meet this summer some time here in Utah, if it stops Snowin' on us.

Ed Snyder January 14th, 2017 12:42 AM

[QUOTE=6066gmcguy;65913]Being I statred a new job again this year, no time off for me for travelin'. QUOTE]

What's your new job, Jolly? Last I heard you were working as a mechanic at a small shop not too far from where you live.

Ed Snyder March 25th, 2017 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 65847)
"Plan a Mini-Meet..... Gives me a reason to travel....Rusty"

Well, if Rusty wants to travel, I guess we should try to plan another mini-meet. Our previous West Coast mini-meets have been pretty successful, so maybe we can do it again.

Previous West Coast mini-meets have been at Rick Rusconi's house in Elk Grove (just south of Sacramento, CA), at Bob Cochran's in Redding, CA, at the Antique Powerland just north of Salem, OR http://antiquepowerland.com/heritage-museums/, and here in Medford in 2009. The last one was almost 3 years ago at Bob's in Redding.

As long as we can get enough folks to commit to attending one somewhere between Portland, OR, and Sacramento, I'll definitely be there. Anybody out there want to propose a location? Hopefully we can get something going for this coming summer. It's not too early to start planning!

Haven't seen any response other than from TJ so far. Is anybody else interested in a West Coast mini-meet?

WE7X March 25th, 2017 07:06 AM

Depending upon dates (ie; family conflicts) I could be interested in something probably no farther south than southern Oregon. I guess that could be chalked up to a 'definite maybe' response.
Either way, I will offer up five of the Custom HEI Distributer/Bushing spacer kits for sale/raffle items. These are the bushings that were designed by Ed Erlbacher about 12 years ago, listed on the "ignition"web site, and manufactured per his drawings, with his permission.
I have produced over 100 of these bushings in several batches over the years.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA.

65barnfind April 24th, 2017 12:30 AM

I'm new here guys but I would like to meet up and check out some rides and talk. I just got my 65 so I don't know how road ready its going to be until I get a chance to dig in to it. I'm around Oregon City..

Ed Snyder April 24th, 2017 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65barnfind (Post 66862)
I'm new here guys but I would like to meet up and check out some rides and talk. I just got my 65 so I don't know how road ready its going to be until I get a chance to dig in to it. I'm around Oregon City..

Since you're a lot closer to Brooks than I am, maybe you could find out the particulars of having a meet at the Antique Powerland again. That would be a better location for Rod than southern Oregon. TJ -- you could ride up to Brooks with me. If Rusty's going to fly out, flying from St. Louis to Portland's probably cheaper than flying to Medford.

TJ's GMC April 24th, 2017 04:50 PM

Sounds good Ed, I'd love to drive Crustine.....but that far is a bit of a stretch at 50 mph the whole way. haha Buddy of mine in Salem who happens to be a huge v6 enthusiast is a volunteer at Powerland!

65barnfind April 24th, 2017 05:56 PM

That's awesome! How many people show up to these meets? Is I huge deal or like a 5-10 guy event?

Ed Snyder April 25th, 2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65barnfind (Post 66872)
That's awesome! How many people show up to these meets? Is I huge deal or like a 5-10 guy event?

We may have had close to 10 at the 5 year and 10 year Jamborees (2005 and 2010) at Jolly's place in Utah. To get 5 to show up at a mini-meet is about all one can expect. I've been to at least half a dozen of them over the last 17 years.

65barnfind April 25th, 2017 01:40 PM

In that case we could meet up almost anywhere. A bar parking lot. They love the attention stuff like that gets them. Plus there's beer! Haha. I know a guy that owns a bar in woodburn that would probably love it. There's also champoeg park that we can have a BBQ. They have pits there. There's lots of parks that love that stuff too. We should put one together in a month or so. Since it's still raining like it's winter.

WE7X April 25th, 2017 05:08 PM

I don't know about others, but I suspect many that might attend are retired.
For me, that means I am often more available on weekdays, because family stuff nearly always happens on weekends. Also, parks are less crowded on weekdays, if that is a venue that might be in consideration.

My weekend dates already committed include June 9-13; 24-25;July 7-10; 15-16; 26-31 ( family wedding ); August 8-13.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

65barnfind April 25th, 2017 07:01 PM

I'm the opposite. I still got 20 years before I can retire. So for obvious reasons weekends work better for me. I'm sure something can get worked out..

TJ's GMC April 25th, 2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65barnfind (Post 66878)
I'm the opposite. I still got 20 years before I can retire. So for obvious reasons weekends work better for me. I'm sure something can get worked out..

I still have 45 years before I retire. haha Same here for weekends, but if it's planned during the week I can always sweet talk the boss into letting me have a day or two off. :teehee:

WE7X April 25th, 2017 08:01 PM

To all,
OK, been there and done that ( the work routine ); and I fully understand.
I am certainly not limited to a week day meet, but just thought I would toss that out for discussion.
Obviously, there are some "young'uns" among the group. It is good news to see some younger folks interested in the good old stuff.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah WA.

Dano64 June 15th, 2017 07:03 AM

I'd love to do a mini meet. I have used an online tool to help find times that work for lots of people. I could do that if others are interested.

I"m in Corvallis OR and would do anywhere in OR and maybe NorCal and call it an adventure, and bring one or two of my young sons with me!

Ed Snyder June 16th, 2017 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano64 (Post 67361)
I'd love to do a mini meet. I have used an online tool to help find times that work for lots of people. I could do that if others are interested.

I'm in Corvallis OR and would do anywhere in OR and maybe NorCal and call it an adventure, and bring one or two of my young sons with me!

Until Dano's post here, I had just about given up on a West Coast mini-meet this year. Now it sounds like we may have enough interest to make planning a meet worthwhile. I count five "definite maybes" -- Dano, Rod, TJ, 65barnfind, me, and possibly Rusty if he's still willing to fly out. We've had two or three other forum members from northern Oregon over the years too. Don't know if they're still on here or not though.

Since the majority of you are from "up north" I'd like to again propose having it at the Antique Powerland in Brooks, just north of Salem, so nobody has to drive too far. Dano -- can we get you to figure out what weekend works best for everybody? I'm usually pretty flexible.

Dano64 June 16th, 2017 06:07 AM

Ok fellas I'm giving it a shot - the organizer tool. I haven't used this one so let me know if it's wonky or doesn't make sense!

I drafted in some weekend days that I think I can make it. It's listed as all-day but I think we could resolve times later.

Please give it a go and let me know if this works: http://www.needtomeet.com/meeting?id=eizmjzijV

TJ's GMC June 17th, 2017 01:34 PM

I put down for some time in August. June and July seem fairly busy.

Also went through an hour change at work....now we are open Tuesday through Saturday and are closed Sunday and Monday. If it's on the weekend(Saturday and Sunday) I could just schedule the time off.

Ed Snyder June 26th, 2017 06:32 PM

It looks like we're still waiting for Rod and 65barnfind to sign up on Dano's availability schedule. So far it looks like everyone's available for the weekend of August 5/6.

Dano -- you might want to consider extending your schedule to include September weekends too.

WE7X June 26th, 2017 06:48 PM

Well, I guess I missed something.
I can be available for the August 5,6 weekend.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

WE7X June 26th, 2017 07:01 PM

I went back and found the calendar posting. I checked the August 5, 6 dates , but when I tired to add extra dates, it did not let me check additional ones.
I could also be available the last weekend of August dates.

Either weekend, I may have to leave a bit early on Sunday, depending on any proposed schedule of events.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA 98027

AKA WE7X

1970 GMC RM7500 chassis (410M) under a 38' 1954 Spartan Aircraft Travel Trailer, as a body.

65barnfind June 27th, 2017 04:40 AM

I should be good for 5th or 6th

65barnfind June 27th, 2017 04:41 AM

Of august

Ed Snyder June 27th, 2017 06:31 AM

So it looks like everyone (except Rusty Nut) is available on the weekend of August 5th and 6th. Rusty said he would not be available until after August 20th. Unless we can find a weekend in September when everyone is free, then we should all reserve that first weekend in August for our West Coast Mini-Meet.

I sent an email to the Antique Powerland asking if we need to make some type of reservation, and if there's any particular place on their grounds where we can meet (other than the parking lot). If they don't email me back, I'll call them on the phone in a couple days. They do have a "steam up" scheduled for that weekend according to their website. Might be crowded then.

Dano64 July 5th, 2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WE7X (Post 67447)
I went back and found the calendar posting. I checked the August 5, 6 dates , but when I tired to add extra dates, it did not let me check additional ones.

Added! I added some dates. Had to learn how to use that tool better.

Guys - Can someone lead up the actual firing of the event and securing the place? (Is that needed?) One of the few times I'll be out is this weekend Aug 5/6 and I'm not very reliable right now with my work situation. I'm stoked that we've got a little posse going here.

Ed Snyder July 6th, 2017 07:11 PM

I just spoke to a nice lady at the Antique Powerland. She said that the weekend of August 5th & 6th would be a perfect time for us to come since there's so much going on that weekend. See http://www.antiquepowerland.com/html/steam-up.html. She also said that it would be best if we would all meet somewhere else offsite first, then drive to the Powerland together so that we could all park together in their parking lot. She said all the museums onsite would be open, including the truck museum. There will be lots of food vendors too, so no need to pack picnic lunches.

Here is what I'd like to propose for those driving far enough to need an overnight stay (like me):
Drive to Salem on Saturday and stay here overnight: https://www.crosslandstudios.com/crossland-salem-north/. Meet in the parking lot Sunday morning (8 AM maybe?). Drive up Hiway 99E to Brooks and over to the Antique Powerland on the other side of the freeway. Park together in the parking lot there. Have our "mini-meet" right there by the trucks, then enter the Powerland to enjoy the show. Note the $12 entry fee.

If anyone wants to suggest a different hotel, a different place to meet, or a different schedule, this is your opportunity! We should make reservations soon before all the hotels in the area book up.

Dano64 July 6th, 2017 07:16 PM

I wish I could! Have fun fellas!

65barnfind July 7th, 2017 05:40 AM

I'm game for whatever. I'm always so busy that I have a hard time remembering even when I put it on my calendar. If we could do reminders the week before that would be great. I'm good with Sunday the 6th

Ed Snyder July 10th, 2017 02:55 AM

So far it looks like we have commitments to come to the mini-meet on August 6th from me, Rick, and Justin. How about it Rod and TJ -- can you still make it? And Dan, did I interpret your post correctly that you can't make it?

I don't want to wait too much longer to make a hotel reservation. If we can't get enough commitments, we should probably cancel the meet and try again some other time.

Ed Snyder July 11th, 2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 67534)
So far it looks like we have commitments to come to the mini-meet on August 6th from me, Rick, and Justin. How about it Rod and TJ -- can you still make it? And Dan, did I interpret your post correctly that you can't make it?

I don't want to wait too much longer to make a hotel reservation. If we can't get enough commitments, we should probably cancel the meet and try again some other time.

I just found out I need to help my son move from LA to Portland, so I won't be available on the weekend of August 5th and 6th. I went to our schedule and changed it -- http://www.needtomeet.com/meeting?id=eizmjzijV. The rest of you potential attendees should update your availability too. Note that the calendar extends out into October. Hopefully we can reschedule for a later date when more of us don't have other commitments. Maybe RustyNut can come then too.

65barnfind July 27th, 2017 02:22 PM

I'm ok with pushing it out but it will have to be a month or more out.

WE7X July 27th, 2017 05:03 PM

I think I managed to update my availability to add the late August dates.
September will not work for me. All weekends are booked through nearly the end of October, due to major travel plans.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
1970 GMC RM-7500

TJ's GMC July 28th, 2017 03:14 PM

Late August would work for me at this point.

David R Leifheit July 29th, 2017 04:50 PM

Since I went to work I haven't been on the computer as much, although I admit I had kind of dropped off the computers for a while before that.
Anyway... I am open to a meet. It would be nice to get out and talk truck again. None of mine are in running condition though. It has been too many years and too few dollars. :)

The Powerland site is good for me, I only live about a 1/2 hour from there. That would be the shortest drive I have made in months.

My job keeps me out of the house from about 5:15am to roughly 6:00pm 5 days a week, and all I want to do when I get home is collapse! Guess I'm getting old.... .... ....

David R Leifheit July 29th, 2017 04:55 PM

Medford, Cave Junction, Oregon City, Corvallis, and me in Dallas... If each of us showed up, that would almost be a meet in itself. :)

I'd say we could even meet here, except the yard is so overgrown you'd never know I had 1.4 acres and (down to) about 8 or 9 GMC trucks.

Live in Dallas, work in Eugene, and drive through Corvallis twice a day (to and from work).

Ed Snyder July 30th, 2017 02:52 AM

It's looking like the weekend of August 26/27 will work for most of us. So put that on your calendars and don't schedule anything else for that weekend. We'll need to decide if we want to hold the actual event on Saturday or Sunday so we can make hotel reservations before they book up. Anybody got a preference?

GMCNUT August 6th, 2017 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy (Post 65913)
Being I statred a new job again this year, no time off for me for travelin', I'll be doing my yearly meet this summer some time here in Utah, if it stops Snowin' on us.

Made my first trip to Utah a few weeks ago - went to Deer Valley / Park City for a conference. Beautiful state - very different from Alabama

65GMCKV4000 August 9th, 2017 04:50 AM

Hello everybody. I would like come to your mini-meet. I am up here in SE Washington just west of Walla Walla. We have our truck show in Walla Walla in September (16) but I am free other than that. Look forward to meeting everybody.