6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Exterior, Bodywork, Paint and Glass (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   64-66 Door weatherstrip (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49914)

Paul Bunch March 9th, 2017 12:29 AM

64-66 Door weatherstrip

The information I am about to share came from Rob Fisher and he posted it on the 1947- present Chevrolet & GMC pickups Nov 09.
64-66 door weatherstrip-EUREKA!!!!
I have spent a lot of money on my truck, wheels, suspension, brakes, motor and the list goes on and on. That said the thing that made the most lasting impression with people that rode with me was the fact that you had to be the Governor of California to close the doors. Besides having to have muscles like the Terminator to get it to latch, I had to hold my breath every time thinking that slamming it was going to break the window or pull the armrest off.
I started by adjusting the latches, better but still not the way I wanted it.
So i bit the bullet and purchaser some Altman Easy latches, great product, easy to install, and work great. Highly recommended,
Now for the weather-strip, the existing was falling off in places and having read on this forum about the universal dislike for the glue on type I set out to find some that would push on.
I contacted Paul at GMC Paul's and was told that they did not have any solution for the 60-66 trucks, only the 67 and up.
Despite being told the the 67 and up push on would not work I bought a set and gave it a try, Guess what? It did not work.
The package though did have the name of the manufacturer on it.
Precision was the name so I gave them a call, they were great, sent me a bunch of samples, one of which seemed like the answer.
Called to order to find out that it had recently been discontinued.
The search goes on.
The answer was closer then I thought, I pulled the door seal off my 2007 Honda Van and tried it on my truck, pushed on great and the door latched and sealed perfect. The only issue was it 18" too short, no problem, I would get an extra and piece it at the bottom under the sill plate.
Working away on my truck, my daughter pulls up in her 2006 Honda Civic coupe and before she can get out I start pulling the door seal off her car.
I installed it on my truck and to my surprise it is a perfect fit, it comes as a continuous loop, no joint and it is exactly the right length, no glue required.
I ordered a brand new set from Hondapartscheap.com
P/N 72315-SVA-A01ZA for the right side.
P/N 72355-SVA-A01ZA for the left side.
They are called Front Door Opening Seals and described as Graphite Black.
Brand new in genuine Honda packaging was $38.92 per side.
Lots of these cars in the wreckers so I am sure you could find them used cheaper. This particular weather-strip is used in 2006-2009 Honda civic 2 door coupes, the sedan has a smaller door opening size and does not fit.
There is one formed corner but i put that down in the front lower corner and
there is only a slight pucker, you would never notice unless you stuck your head in below the bottom of the door.
After getting the old weather-strip off and cleaning up the glue it took less then 10 minutes aside to install the new and re-attach the sill plates.
Take a look at the pictures and follow the you tube link

I am posting this because I had the same problem until I got the Honda weatherstrips this morning and I am so pleased with the way my doors close now and want to say putting them on was so easy. I hope this will be of help to someone. Also Rob if you see this thanks again.

jimjaz March 9th, 2017 03:58 PM

Re: 64-66 Door weatherstrip

good to know, thanks!
I will give this a go on my '65 Sub.

Paul Bunch March 10th, 2017 12:34 PM

Re: 64-66 Door weatherstrip

Hope it works as well for you as it did for me. Go to the website get the price and it has gone up a little take that information to your local Honda dealer and they matched the internet price for me.