6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Builds and Journals (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   My 1960 GMC 1000 Build Journal - Feb 2022 (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=51301)

GMCNUT December 18th, 2022 08:04 PM

Re: My 1960 GMC 1000 Build Journal - Feb 2022

All in all I would say there's maybe $300 or so in material used here, and 1000 or so in blasting charged at 2K, and if there was any "work" done not related to removing flash caused by the shops' own inappropriate methodologies, that could be any number any of you feel is appropriate for what you see knowing everything you do not see is rusting away as we speak, so lets give the guy a break and say it was 3K in $75 per hr labor - that's at best - on a good day - $5-6K in something vs 17K for an absolute raw screw job. The highest charging shop in the United States (whoever and wherever that is) would never have arrived at 17K for what you are unfortunately seeing in these photos.
By the way - there was ZERO dent or rust repair to this point - only material cost, blast cost and whatever alleged work could have been required to seal everything that was fortunate enough to get sealed, and the bed which got something added to the (hopefully right done) sealer job. My guess is any body man worth his salt is going to tell me we have to start over and re-blast so he knows it is all correctly handled

ilvracn December 19th, 2022 03:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
i feel your pain. years ago i built a pro street s-10. i narrowed the the frame built and installed engine and trans, new front susp. needed the rear axle narrowed and 4 link brackets installed. took it to a brother of a friend because he had been to a school on doing just that, it sat on jack stands half done for almost 10 years. i bugged him enough he finnaly got it done. but he put the box outside, the wheel tubs i welded in and the box floor rusted, thats when i found out primer doesnt seal out water. i had to cut out the whole box floor, buy new tubs and start over. i still have the truck, it turned out awsome, have taken it on the hotrod power tour 2 times. all in all it took 20 years to build. here are some pics

FetchMeAPepsi December 19th, 2022 03:58 PM

Man what a story! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience TWICE. I guess it just goes to show you what we often see repeated here. If you want something done right, you have to just do it yourself. You could have picked up a compressor, blast media, and a commercial blasting gun for less and just done the whole thing yourself. Then kept your suit on and done the line of our trucks we'd have parked behind yours because "while you're at it..."
:thumbsup:

And when you're finished you can hook an acetylene bottle setup on it and take it to the owner of that shop because you want him to stay warm over the winter. "Give a man a fire and warm him for an evening, light a man on fire and warm him for a lifetime!"