6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   GMC V6 and V12 Engines (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Yikes!!! 305E V6 knocking like crazy! (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48711)

TJ's GMC March 25th, 2015 04:26 AM

Yikes!!! 305E V6 knocking like crazy!

And the funny thing is that it started happening right after I put a new set of plugs in! Here's a video...what ya'all think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyhgUvL-2wU

AZKen March 25th, 2015 04:34 AM

Re: Yikes!!! 305E V6 knocking like crazy!

If you swear on a GMC manual that you did nothing else !, then play with timing. If no cure, recheck that the plugs are the same and put old plugs back in to see a difference in sound. Obviously it is something you did and not an all of a sudden, coincidence. So backtrack and think. Hotter plug? Colder plug? wrong length plugs? moved timing? .... loosened manifold or crossover pipe?, high octane gas. Watch the temp gauge so as not to damage motor during trouble shooting. Need to replace items, tighten manifold bolts and re-time to get any kind of a change, this will lead to the remedy. Do one thing at a time and test or you will get confused/misled.
Be aware that a leaky exhaust manifold can make big knock sound. Did you check the heat riser flapper for noise?
Bottom line: Get a broom stick and hold it all around motor while up to your ear to isolate the noise if you can. Rich guys use stethoscopes :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC March 25th, 2015 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 57324)
If you swear on a GMC manual that you did nothing else !, then play with timing. If no cure, recheck that the plugs are the same and put old plugs back in to see a difference in sound. Obviously it is something you did and not an all of a sudden, coincidence. So backtrack and think. Hotter plug? Colder plug? wrong length plugs? moved timing? .... loosened manifold or crossover pipe?
Be aware that a leaky exhaust manifold can make big knock sound. Did you check the heat riser flapper for noise?
Bottom line: Get a broom stick and hold it all around motor while up to your ear to isolate the noise if you can. Rich guys use stethoscopes :thumbsup:

Here's what I've done...New distributor cap, coil, plug wires, plugs, oil change, oil filter, and engine restorer, also a fuel filter. Thanks for the response. I'll pull the new plugs tomorrow and see if things clear up. I did have the autolights crossed over to NGK's and cross references have been known to be a couple heat ranges off. Timing has not been touched. Manifolds have not been touched. Haven't check the heat flapper for noise, the sounds seems to be loudest at the rear of the engine. I think if the manifolds were leaking it would have knocked when I first got it unless somehow it blew the manifold gasket while idling. lol I'll do some inspecting tomorrow. Thanks.

AZKen March 25th, 2015 05:01 AM

Changed oil and forget to put new in? :ahhhh: Just kidding. Check plug cross reference online till you find three sources that all agree. FLAPS men can be very unreliable.
FLAPS= Friendly Local Auto Parts Store. You are on the right track, don't take anything for granted. Could be detonation or pre-ignition for sure if you say no exhaust leak. If you have the old plugs, put them in for sure, that's a quick check. Did you compare the old to new plugs as far as physically?

TJ's GMC March 25th, 2015 05:22 AM

Yep I put new oil in. lol 6 quarts. I'll have to double check tomorrow. ;) I'll be darned if I put the old plugs back in and it runs fine! Guess that'll mean another run back to Napa for Autolight plugs if that's the case.

AZKen March 25th, 2015 06:46 AM

Good job. Great result. "Plug" on.

TJ's GMC March 25th, 2015 07:52 PM

Well I have no idea what I did but the engine decided to quit knocking all by itself. LITERALLY. I pull all the new plugs and put the old ones back in...still knocks...pull both valve covers to make sure everything is moving and nothing is bent. Has a little more sludge in there than I'd like to see.....Ran it till she got hot and pulled the radiator cap to see if I had a blown head gasket...no bubbles....now it only knocks on deacceleration.....so you rev it and while it comes back down to idle it knocks just a little now....with the old or new plugs. So the plugs aren't the issue. The knocking from deacceleration sounds like a very loose rocker arm but its not. Hard to explain what it sounds like and the camera doesn't help either. I'm starting to think one of the lifters is hanging up a little. Thoughts? Knocks when the engine comes back down to idle..sometimes.

Foley March 25th, 2015 08:24 PM

:postgood:Good information to help anybody who is doing basic troubleshooting. Thanks:thumbsup:

Foley
Greenwood, Ca

AZKen March 25th, 2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 57327)
I'll be darned if I put the old plugs back in and it runs fine! Guess that'll mean another run back to Napa for Autolight plugs if that's the case.

Well you fooled me with that one, thought you were done. I guess my next guess is to guess..............................Rod Knock. There is an easy test for that. You may want to take off one plug boot at a time while motor running to see if it quits. That may not be possible if it's not knocking all the time. Anyway the test for rod knock is on YouTube. I think valve train noise is a little more "ticky tacky" than your noise. Yours is a hard knock. But it is hard to tell from my house.

David R Leifheit March 25th, 2015 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZKen (Post 57332)
Well you fooled me with that one, I guess my next guess is to guess..............................Rod Knock. There is an easy test for that. You may want to take off one plug boot at a time while motor running to see if it quits. That may not be possible if it's not knocking all the time. Anyway the test for rod knock is on YouTube. I think valve noise is a little more "ticky tacky" than your noise. Yours is a hard knock. But it is hard to tell from my house.

I strongly second this.
I had a knock, it wasn't bad so I ignored it. At 55 mph the knock stopped, so did the truck. I had dropped a rod cap, the knocking was the piston slapping the head (had a nice imprint of the valves on it). BIG mistake to ignore any noise, or "get used to it" as I did.

bigblockv6 March 25th, 2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R Leifheit (Post 57333)
I strongly second this.
I had a knock, it wasn't bad so I ignored it. At 55 mph the knock stopped, so did the truck. I had dropped a rod cap, the knocking was the piston slapping the head (had a nice imprint of the valves on it). BIG mistake to ignore any noise, or "get used to it" as I did.

Carbon build up on the piston could be a possible problem.:goodluck:

AZKen March 25th, 2015 10:17 PM

96.4% chance it has something to do with what he did recently....or some info he has not remembered yet. I do it all the time. TJ: Jolly's site says AC4 plugs for 1964 BUT you indicate in other posts your motor may be newer. Get correct plugs and re-time even though you did not touch timing. Make sure you use the specs/parts for whatever year that motor is. Things you say are still pointing to detonation or pre-ignition or timing. But they do say that happens on Acceleration or a load. Maybe cheap/old gas, plugs too hot or as BBV6 says ...carbon. Hope it's not rod slap. Don't know if you have had this motor long enough to say it was quiet before "tune up". If it was, I don't think rod knock comes on all of a sudden. Don't think it goes away and comes back. It could change a little because of thermal expansion of parts. TJ: are you 16 years old?
EDIT: Experts say that sometimes after changing old gunky oil, with new oil, it will reveal a rod knock. Check filter for flakes/glitter.

TJ's GMC March 26th, 2015 04:44 AM

Ok so I'l explain the story of this truck. So I bought it from a guy exactly 3 weeks ago. Ran like crap...misfired like crazy. Limped it home(3 miles) and checked the plug order to make sure all was well. Found out 4 and 6 were crossed. fixed that and the thing ran like new. Snappy, fired up everytime, carb is crapped out so its a little hesitant but is a great cruiser. Anyhow...skip two weeks later and I'm driving to a friend's house...thing runs great the whole way there....let it sit for a few hours....and on the way home not even half way it starts running crap...hesitates...stumbles...(idles ok) and is not all at wanting to stay at high rpm. So zoom home as quickly as it will go(mind you its 10 pm and I'm wanting to get home. (lol) Get home and park it. So a few days later I fire it up...still runs like crap. Put new plug wires on it and that helps a tad....didn't help with the stumble or hesitation...So after tinkering I decided it was a carb issue and was having a hard time getting it to idle so I pulled the choke out and brought the rpm to around 1500(ear judgment) for a few minutes while gunning some B12 carb cleaner through the carb and into the engine. Push that choke back in and she's running fine again. Ok! Now my tune up parts are in! Go to Napa and get my new parts(plug wires, and plugs, and a can of engine restorer for the heck of it), Put the new plugs in(wires were already on) and fire it up...well...you guessed it...the knock starts. SO...Skip to today.

Fire it up this morning and its still knocking. Pull ALL the new plugs out and put the Old ones back in. Didn't help a thing...stick knocking...go around with a screw driver and whatever I could find and couldn't pin point the knock. Pull both valve covers to make sure everything is moving ok....did see a little more sludge in there than I wanted to....but oil is going up there and everything seemed ok. So while tinkering and just letting the engine idle..suddenly...ALL BY ITSELF the knocking goes away....rev it...starts to knock on deacceleration.....rev it again..same thing....rev it again..no knocking...rev it again...no knocking...stop and put the new plugs back in...start it..rev it..still no knocking.....Now it knocks once in awhile.....and for the past 20 minutes of it running there has been no knocking at all. Oh yeah..so I found out I have a new coil and cap and points from my 292 I6 chevy laying around so I decided to see if those would work and walla...the points and cap fit on there like a glove. Adjusted the points(without a feeler gauge) until the engine ran fine and that's where I'm at. Drove it around the field goosing it here and there and all seems fine. She's ticking away like she did when I fixed the crossed wires. Smooth as a swiss watch. So..to be honest...I think the motor cured itself(LOL)...did talk with a friend of mine who's kind of an expert on these and he thought that a lifter was sticking or that a piece of carbon was wedged somewhere. And if that's the case it seems to have burned it out. Anyhow...Also did find out I have a leaky head gasket on the top of the engine..I can see some water seeping out the top in front of the intake port so I'm a gonna be ordering new head gaskets as well. But as of now everything is back to normal. And yes I'm 16...just turned 16 a few days ago.

AZKen March 26th, 2015 05:49 AM

Good work. You have the vocabulary, skills and thinking ability of an older expert mechanic. You are going to go a long way. Good to see someone of your age interested in vintage trucks. We can learn from you. Time will tell if it was just a quirk or not. Let us know.

705jmguy March 26th, 2015 12:56 PM

Will share with everyone my experience with knock in my 305, the knock was not as sharp as yours so may not be same thing, it was running smoothly, good oil pressure, compression was on the lower side on all cylinders, not smoking or using oil.
Mine had a annoying knock at idle, was told it was the harmonic balancer when I purchased it, and of course that is not true as it has no harmonic balancer on the front pulley
Pulled the engine to make sure it was not a rod bearing, thankfully it was not, so decided
to give the engine a little spruce up so to speak, but not having found the cause of the knock as of now, had crank shaft checked for specs, on the low side but still in range, still no answer for the knock cause.
Was beginning to think it was my imagination at this point, decided to pull pistons, clean up cylinder walls and put in new rings and bearings.
Had the cylinders checked and found the problem, piston slap, the old girl still was running good no smoke even with the pistons slapping away.
Had to have it bored out over sized, had new pistons made as could not find over sized.
Before I purchased it was sitting for at least five years, not started, perhaps a little rust developed on the cyl walls and a hard start caused rapid wear on the walls causing the pistons to slap due to premature wear
Just my two cents for everyone info thanks

TJ's GMC March 26th, 2015 04:44 PM

Well if mine was a piston slap it must have worn enough or burned enough off the piston to quit knocking. lol I'm gonna do a compression test when I can find my darn compression tester. haha Also will be putting another video on youtube about it as proof she quit knocking. :thumbsup:

bigblockv6 March 26th, 2015 05:11 PM

Back in the 70's GM had what they called " Top Engine Cleaner" that you could by at the parts department at most GM dealerships, designed to clean up the top end of the engine. I used to use this on my 68, it was thick as molasses , you would start the engine and pour it down the carb and let run for less than a minute then let it sit for about ten minutes and then start the process again. It really put out a strong smell of ammonia but really did the job of cleaning up carbon. If there is anything similar like this out there today it would be a good idea for engines that have carbon build up.

AZKen March 27th, 2015 01:34 AM

According to the internet (always reliable, of course), you can blast carbon off the pistons thru the plug hole with fine walnut shells. Then clean/blow out/change oil.

TJ's GMC March 27th, 2015 03:48 PM

A machinist friend of mine was saying that dripping water down the carb while the engine is around a 1500 rpm idle will cool things off enough to break the carbon build up and burn it out.....all this while being careful how much water you drip in. lol Well here's a video of how she runs now. All is ok again minus a leaky head gasket. But we'll order those from summit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xoTKUE_7z4

bigblockv6 March 27th, 2015 04:50 PM

What also works good is to put water in a spray bottle that it's atomized as it's going down the carb, I've seen the results after the head was pulled an engines, the pistons were so clean they looked good as new.

TJ's GMC March 27th, 2015 05:58 PM

Yeah, When I pulled one of the plugs I took a look at the piston with a flash light and I can see carbon...so I think I'm gonna try the water deal or just give then a good scrubbing when I pull the heads.

Ancientx April 6th, 2015 08:38 PM

Wow! This is EXACTLY the same thing that happened to "Happy Truck". Changed plugs before leaving WY, got to Canton SD, parked for the day at a car show, hopped in and it started happening.
A local mechanic told me it'd spun a main bearing and it's sat for 4 years.

I have hope!! WOOHOO!

I watched your youtube vid and it sounds EXACTLY the same.

Maybe I won't have to rebuild/replace it!

TJ's GMC April 6th, 2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancientx (Post 57453)
Wow! This is EXACTLY the same thing that happened to "Happy Truck". Changed plugs before leaving WY, got to Canton SD, parked for the day at a car show, hopped in and it started happening.
A local mechanic told me it'd spun a main bearing and it's sat for 4 years.

I have hope!! WOOHOO!

I watched your youtube vid and it sounds EXACTLY the same.

Maybe I won't have to rebuild/replace it!

Not to spoil your bubble...but I wouldn't count on it being some crap that fell in the piston....You say you changed the plugs before you left...then when you arrived to SD you let it sit for a few hours...fire it up and it starts knocking? Its possible a piece of carbon...but do be careful. It could have spun a bearing. Mine started knocking RIGHT after I changed the plugs which indicated some crap falling into the cylinder. But if yours happened several miles later it could be worse. Sorry to sound grim...just don't get your hopes up to high. lol

Ancientx April 6th, 2015 09:00 PM

I'm more excited about the prospect of the possibility. :) The way my luck runs it'll be a rebuild. Which is actually what I'm expecting will need to happen.

Sadly, I'll be selling this truck. It's a trade off: Do I make it a running truck to get more for it? KNOWING what will probably happen is whoever buys it will probably drop a 350 in it OR leave it as is, get less overall but not have to do the work.

It's all original except for the paint and the interior... and the wood bed. So it's prime to restore to original, or street rod it. 1/2 dozen of one and 6 of another. :/

TJ's GMC April 7th, 2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancientx (Post 57456)
I'm more excited about the prospect of the possibility. :) The way my luck runs it'll be a rebuild. Which is actually what I'm expecting will need to happen.

Sadly, I'll be selling this truck. It's a trade off: Do I make it a running truck to get more for it? KNOWING what will probably happen is whoever buys it will probably drop a 350 in it OR leave it as is, get less overall but not have to do the work.

It's all original except for the paint and the interior... and the wood bed. So it's prime to restore to original, or street rod it. 1/2 dozen of one and 6 of another. :/

I'd find someone who will leave it as is. More than likely the truck will be left alone if its running good. I hate it when I go to so many forums and 95% of the people there has 350's. Its so stupid anymore than I don't even go to car shows cause they all have the same dang engine. People criticize me for hopping up my 292 in my 66 chevy and I criticize them for being a cheap #%&@ and being like everyone else. But that's the way it is and I can't change that so I'm gonna do what I want to do with my projects and enjoy being different. :thumbsup:

bigblockv6 April 7th, 2015 06:41 PM

Nothing wrong with hopping your 292, you've got something that's different from everyone else and you're having fun with it. The 350 thing is so overdone and like I say it's a major national obsession!:my2cents:

TJ's GMC April 7th, 2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 57467)
Nothing wrong with hopping your 292, you've got something that's different from everyone else and you're having fun with it. The 350 thing is so overdone and like I say it's a major national obsession!:my2cents:

I hear ya...Nothing wrong with a 350 but too many people think its the ONLY way to go. It took me 2 1/2 years to save up enough to get my 292 done the way I wanted to. People always tell me "Well I'm doing a Budget build" Well, so am I as a matter of fact. lol And I don't use it as an excuse I use it as "Ok, it may take longer, but who cares. May as well do it how I want it done the 1st time." If the 6 cylinders were as popular as the 350 parts would be just as cheap if not cheaper. lol Which would be really nice! Seeing as how I want to do a turbo build on another 6 cylinder.

TJ's GMC April 7th, 2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigblockv6 (Post 57467)

I hear ya...Nothing wrong with a 350 but too many people think its the ONLY way to go. It took me 2 1/2 years to save up enough to get my 292 done the way I wanted to. People always tell me "Well I'm doing a Budget build" Well, so am I as a matter of fact. lol And I don't use it as an excuse I use it as "Ok, it may take longer, but who cares. May as well do it how I want it done the 1st time." If the 6 cylinders were as popular as the 350 parts would be just as cheap if not cheaper. lol Which would be really nice! Seeing as how I want to do a turbo build on another 6 cylinder.

Ancientx April 8th, 2015 03:24 AM

Nuttin' wrong with the treefiddy, but I agree: over done.

I myself wouldn't leave Happy Truck original. Tech is so much more advanced now. I'd upgrade his suspension to tubular a-arms coil over shocks, and sway bars front and rear with disc brakes up front.

Drivetrain: I've a '65 OLDS 98 out back with a 455 ROCKET. a valve grind, some head work (with porting) a mild cam, and a street demon carb, 3-speed auto and posi-traction rear end. WOOHOOO!!! Look at all dem tickets!!! ;D

I'm all for all stock, but this truck is custom paint and interior. Full stock it ain't.

If thing go just right between now and October I've an eye on a '66 Buick GS. That'll be restored. The '66 'Lark I've got now I want to make a "pro-cruzer" as opposed to pro-touring. Who can afford the gas for that? Not me, not most the people I know.

TJ's GMC April 8th, 2015 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancientx (Post 57483)
Nuttin' wrong with the treefiddy, but I agree: over done.

I myself wouldn't leave Happy Truck original. Tech is so much more advanced now. I'd upgrade his suspension to tubular a-arms coil over shocks, and sway bars front and rear with disc brakes up front.

Drivetrain: I've a '65 OLDS 98 out back with a 455 ROCKET. a valve grind, some head work (with porting) a mild cam, and a street demon carb, 3-speed auto and posi-traction rear end. WOOHOOO!!! Look at all dem tickets!!! ;D

I'm all for all stock, but this truck is custom paint and interior. Full stock it ain't.

If thing go just right between now and October I've an eye on a '66 Buick GS. That'll be restored. The '66 'Lark I've got now I want to make a "pro-cruzer" as opposed to pro-touring. Who can afford the gas for that? Not me, not most the people I know.

But yet again...yer still being different. lol 455 olds is an 8 but still obviously different, and waaaay better to. lol That's an idea for my 64 chevy! lol

TJ's GMC April 8th, 2015 05:27 AM

Well gents,
Did a compression test and all cylinders are within 105-115 pounds so everything seems ok there. The engine keeps dropping cylinders once in awhile and I'm sure its from the blown head gasket or if both are blown and I don't know it. lol The one leaking currently is getting worse so I haven't been running the engine. Will be getting new head gaskets from summit racing as well as some intake gaskets and a carb kit(not necessarily from them lol). Then I might even take the heads to my machinist and have him look them over to make sure everything is ok and she should be up and running like new. I may even pull the engine to clean it up and repaint it and throw a new clutch in since this one is crap. :thumbsup:

TJ's GMC April 11th, 2015 03:53 PM

New head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets are on there way. Gonna get a carb kit soon as well. Should have this ol thing running like new soon.

TJ's GMC April 25th, 2015 03:37 PM

Head gaskets on back order. sniff sniff

massey478 January 23rd, 2018 10:57 AM

I just happened to view these old posts. I wanted to say how it is most important to use high pressure air to blow out crud around spark plugs before removing them, especially on the V-6 engines we are using. I blow the cavity around the plugs out twice around the engine because stuff from around one plug can fly over to settle around one just blown out. I then loosen the plugs about one turn and repeat the blow-out procedure before completely removing them. It is so easy for crud to settle around the plugs and then if not blown out goes down into the cylinder when the plug is removed. The least it will do is score your cylinder wall. The worst is if it is a piece of some kind of crud that settles on the piston top, maybe sticking there, it causes a knock. It may eventually come loose and it may not. Worst case it might dent or break down the top ring land on the piston then you have a major problem, broken ring, scored cylinder wall. Also check the plug sealing ring seating area in the head for crud. You do not want crud getting between the plug sealing ring and the head, causing it to not seal properly. To clean them I put a bit of grease on the end of a flat blade screwdriver and go around the machined seat carefully with the screwdriver end, the grease captures the bits and keeps them from going down into the cylinder. I-6 engines were bad about inhaling a carb air cleaner mount retaining screw on the carb top that vibrated loose or other trash that might get unnoticed into the air cleaner when changing it. Instant knock! I have seen the screws pressed into the piston top virtually permanently. Head off, new piston, hopefully no cracked head or scored cylinder.

Ed Snyder January 23rd, 2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massey478 (Post 68618)
I-6 engines were bad about inhaling a carb air cleaner mount retaining screw on the carb top that vibrated loose or other trash that might get unnoticed into the air cleaner when changing it. Instant knock! I have seen the screws pressed into the piston top virtually permanently. Head off, new piston, hopefully no cracked head or scored cylinder.

I know from painful experience exactly what Marti is talking about here. The original 305D in my '62 Suburban somehow inhaled the threaded rod holding the air cleaner lid down. Instant loud knocking followed by loss of power and big clouds of oil smoke out the exhaust. Head removal revealed the smashed threaded rod and a piston broken in half. That incident led to the installation of the 401M.

massey478 January 23rd, 2018 07:36 PM

Hi Ed, good to be sharing posts with you again! The reason I made all of the adapters to put a 478 in my 1100 Massey was that whoever rebuild the original inline 6 had made the mistake of putting the exhaust springs on the intake valves and vice-versa. Resulted in the head coming off an exhaust valve right in the middle of the busy field season. It had scored the cylinder, broke down the side of the piston, and bent the rod. The motor was a Waukesha, so parts were not cheap. Regardless of the scoring, I put in a new piston, rod, and bearing, re-did the head during a rainy spell so I could at least use the tractor. I had the expected blow-by. I ran it a couple of years that way until it finally got so bad on oil that I dedicated a winter in the shop machining and welding the adapters necessary to put the 478 in it. It proved out well, power went from 93 HP to 205 HP. Traction is the biggest limitation now, but I leave it weighted as it was and just run a gear or two higher as conditions allow. I was told it would be a gas hog but I firmly believe a big motor loafing along will do better than a smaller motor winding up and working hard. Longer life, less fuel for the same work. I also modify the carburetors a bit. In my opinion GM ran these motors way too lean. We had customers complain about mileage; we would open up the main jets a bit and stretch the power valve spring a bit and their fuel mileage went up, engine temp came down. I learned to love these motors from experiences with them! One customer had a tri-axle dump with a 401, called in to the shop he had a miss and that he was on the way to get it fixed from about 20 miles out. To our great surprise we, expecting an ignition problem, found it had pitched the beam of a rod out the side, left the big end on the crank, hung the piston at top. It survived the 20 mile trip that way, idled with just a miss! We had a warranty 401 block that the GM rep had given us permission to scrap. The scrapper guy, when told the block had to be damaged obviously beyond use by anyone, said he usually just broke out the main webs with a sledge. He found he could not do it on the 401. I had to take a welder and carbon cutting rod to cut into the block several places to destroy it per the GM directive.

Motiv8 January 24th, 2018 11:20 AM

Mr Massey 478. Been a long time since I've seen anybody that knew the correct procedure for removing a plug. That's the way I was taught 70 yrs ago. Been a pro mech and Special eng builder now for 65 yrs. Still building. I'll add one other step. Just loosening the plug will shed a thin layer of carbon. Loosen plug a turn or two, do the full blow away as you posted, tighten plugs , then go drive it. This will almost always blow out that bit of carbon. Very important prior to making a compression test. Most flathead engs of the past had plug recesses that collected grit. Add to that the older engs always had a carbon layer. That carbon could easily stick on a valve seat and your comp test would fool you. Combined w/ wide seats or weak springs, a bit more testing might be needed. Much confusion and unneeded repairs can be avoided following your post #34 and this "drive it " tip. Other things like throttle and choke plate screws not restaked can be found lodged in piston crowns. David

massey478 January 24th, 2018 01:14 PM

Thank you, David! A good added step to remove carbon in the combustion chamber loosened when plug was turned. Especially true on engines that burn some oil. I had carbon get under a valve for a short time on a Cessna 150 I had changed the plugs on. A good run-up to full throttle cleared it fortunately. I have a 44 Massey Harris tractor that many years ago when plowing started making a knocking noise. Would not turn over after shut off. Motor was locked up. Of course a bearing(s) was expected as the cause but no problem found there. Head removal, very hard to break loose after the bolts were out, revealed a large piece of carbon had broken loose and got trapped between the piston and cylinder head, sticking the piston to the head when it stopped at TDC on that cylinder. Weird, but true! Made good Super Glue! Culprit for the carbon was again a worn engine doing light work during the winter, choke out starting and until warmed up, building up carbon then when spring plowing with the characteristic hard pulling involved happened it caused the carbon deposited from the light work to burn/ break loose. We always saw a good many sparks out the stacks on tractors when running at night until it cleaned up. Engines need to be worked once in a while to keep the carbon under control. I have been down the throttle plate/choke plate screw path several times also. Good thing most are brass!

POWERSTROKE January 24th, 2018 01:49 PM

MASSEY478 - A 478 V-6 would make a great tractor engine. I always thought a 305 or 351 in a Farmall M would be a great combination. I grew up on a Midwest grain & livestock farm. Not near enough acres to feed the 500 to 800 head of market hogs every year. All the corn was picked on the ear and ground for cattle feed for the 35-40 head of beef cattle every year and we made three cuttings of alfalfa hay on 20 acres and farrowed the hogs on another 20 acres of alfalfa. Dad wasn't big on farming late into the night and most tractors didn't have working lights, 10-12 hour days was enough but one spring so we could finish plowing we worked till about 10 PM moving hog houses from last years hog pasture to the new one. Farmall H had none too much power for that task, from idling around half throttle no load and cold all winter it was burning up and loosening lots of carbon in the cylinders. At full load those glowing carbon chunks would go 15-20 feet in the air and then fall to the ground, finally stopping glowing just before they hit the ground.

All engines do it, just tractors with vertical exhausts/mufflers just a couple feet ahead of your face make it easy to see.

A guy on the Red Power Magazine forum is putting a 305 V-6 in an M. Been working on it over a year. I hope he posts pictures soon.

massey478 January 24th, 2018 03:34 PM

Thanks for the comments, Powerstroke! Oh how I remember all of those long days you speak of! Another fellow on Red Power put a 702 V-12 in a TD18. I sent him a Rockford hand clutch assembly off one of my irrigation pump 702's to use on it in trade for his transmission, clutch assy, etc. off the truck he took the motor out of. He is in the cold Canadian north. He runs 'cat trains' with the cats hauling supplies over frozen lakes to remote settlements and dwellings in the winter, pulling sledges. He trails a long cable behind because sometimes things go submerged and the cable allows recovery. To read of his experiences I do not know how he endures all of it. If I remember right he has one of the old Lombard type engines that had a gas motor used for logging also. I do not know if he is still at it. I would favor the Massey Harris 44 or 55 for a power-up because they use all Timken bearings in their transmissions and finals. IHC uses ball bearings. I have seen the nose broken off the mainshaft in M's because low gear puts all of the stress on it. They were famous for shelling out the inner rear axle ball bearing, then there was not enough room between the bull gear and the housing so loose ***** would get between bull gear teeth and push out the bottom of the case. In their defense, this was usually the result of low oil level in the case. The angle of having one wheel in the furrow starved the upside bearing so it failed then the ***** went over under the low side gear and cracked the case. Lots of IHC's did a lot of faithful work, so not meaning to dis them.