6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Transmissions and Rear Ends (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Twin Stick Pickups. (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=49210)

TJ's GMC January 27th, 2016 04:37 AM

Twin Stick Pickups.

So after towing 6000+ pounds with my 64 GMC I could easily see the need for either a close ratio tranny or a gear splitter. I look into Gear Vendors and they are just a complete rip off. So searching youtube I ran across a diesel pickup with a twin stick...looking into it I found out it has an Sm-465 and an Advanced Adapters Ranger 2 speed Auxiliary trans. Love the idea of having a twin stick, but also like the price....$1600 vs 3000+ for a gear vendors. Also would make the truck happier at 55-65 mph. Anyone done this? Would love to hear some reviews.

Ed Snyder January 27th, 2016 07:53 AM

Re: Twin Stick Pickups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's GMC (Post 60577)
So after towing 6000+ pounds with my 64 GMC I could easily see the need for either a close ratio tranny or a gear splitter. I look into Gear Vendors and they are just a complete rip off. So searching youtube I ran across a diesel pickup with a twin stick...looking into it I found out it has an Sm-465 and an Advanced Adapters Ranger 2 speed Auxiliary trans. Love the idea of having a twin stick, but also like the price....$1600 vs 3000+ for a gear vendors. Also would make the truck happier at 55-65 mph. Anyone done this? Would love to hear some reviews.

My one ton Suburban has a similar setup with a Watson Brownie 2 speed auxiliary transmission mounted behind the SM420. It has a 0.82 overdrive ratio and works quite well. My Dad had it installed in 1965, right after he bought the truck. The Brownies were used in a lot of the bigger trucks, so you might be able to find one pretty cheap at a big truck wrecking yard. They came in several sizes, so don't get one that's too big or has more than 2 speeds in it.

TJ's GMC January 27th, 2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Snyder (Post 60580)
My one ton Suburban has a similar setup with a Watson Brownie 2 speed auxiliary transmission mounted behind the SM420. It has a 0.82 overdrive ratio and works quite well. My Dad had it installed in 1965, right after he bought the truck. The Brownies were used in a lot of the bigger trucks, so you might be able to find one pretty cheap at a big truck wrecking yard. They came in several sizes, so don't get one that's too big or has more than 2 speeds in it.

Thanks Ed! I'll try and search through some yards.

Clarke January 27th, 2016 11:39 PM

Ed, I remember your dad showing me that but it's been too many years. Can you provide us with more details? I'm doing more and more towing with my GMC and I may consider doing something similar.

Is it an overdrive only or does it actually have in-between gears? I have the handbrake adapter on the back of my transmission. I'm assuming the driveshaft would have to be shortened?

TJ, please keep me posted on what you find out.

Thanks,

David

TJ's GMC January 28th, 2016 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarke (Post 60589)
Ed, I remember your dad showing me that but it's been too many years. Can you provide us with more details? I'm doing more and more towing with my GMC and I may consider doing something similar.

Is it an overdrive only or does it actually have in-between gears? I have the handbrake adapter on the back of my transmission. I'm assuming the driveshaft would have to be shortened?

Thanks,

David

The 2 speed box I'm looking at can do inbetween gears and be an od. You have the choice of when you want to use it as well. Yes the shaft would need to be shortened...Only like 7.5 inches to. I thought heck...for $1600 and the coolness of having a twin stick...this would be the way to go. lol I may not be doing for awhile yet...but we'll see how much I get back on my tax return. haha

Ed Snyder January 28th, 2016 02:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarke (Post 60589)

Thanks,

David

David --

It's a totally separate two speed transmission connected to the rear of the main 4 speed transmission by a short driveshaft. It obviously requires shortening the main driveshaft. It's mounted with a couple of angle iron cross-members. It's operated with a long cable connected to the big knob on the dash just to the right of the ignition switch.

Although theoretically you could operate the two boxes together, giving you 8 forward speeds, in reality (for me anyway) it doesn't work easily enough to do gear-splitting. The way I use it is to leave it in direct 1:1 drive while shifting up through the gears, then pull out the knob while in 4th to go into the 1:0.82 overdrive. This turns the 4.57 rear end into a 3.75 effective ratio. Downshifting the Brownie requires a well-timed double-clutch, so I usually don't downshift it until I'm at a complete stop.

When I drove it out here from Wichita, I just left it in overdrive for most of the trip. Driving it around town now, though, I just leave it in direct drive. It does have a bit of a whine when in overdrive.

Ed

TJ's GMC January 28th, 2016 06:04 PM

Here's a link to the one I'm looking at. This one mounts in between the bell housing and the tranny. http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...etainer-index/

Clarke January 29th, 2016 03:45 AM

Thanks for the reminder Ed. I remember the knob on the dash and mounting angles after I saw your pics. I might call you in a few days to chat more about the in-between gears, or the lack of.

TJ, you really got me thinking about the twin stick. We plan to move to CO one of these days and the in-between gears will be critical when towing grades. I only have approx 50K miles on the orig motor and trans, so I don't want (or need) to replace either. I have confidence both will last for many years, just need some gearing assistance. Ironically, it's amazing how many gears newer (stock) vehicles are providing.

I guess there is enough room on the floor hump to move things around? I wonder if the transmission shifter will hit the seat? May need to heat it and bend it forward?

TJ's GMC January 29th, 2016 03:35 PM

From what I have seen your Will need to do something with the shifter if you have a bench seat. The length of the box measures around 7.5 inches...that that would be how far the main trans would move back. The auxiliary will fit in fine with some mods to the trans tunnel cover. I know of a guy who did the install so I'll try and get some pictures of a link on here.

6066gmcguy January 30th, 2016 12:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've got one of these, was going to put it in my one ton, but I sold it last year. But it will work in my rescue squad.

The Spicer 5831-B Auxiliary Transmission pictured on this page is the one I have, it come out of a 1965 GMC W5500, and as you can see its not really that big. the main thing is to get all the parts off the donor truck, many have gotten just the Auxiliary Box then wonder how they are going to hook it up. the truck mine came from was headed to the crusher at the time, it was set aside to get these parts removed just in time to keep it from being lost forevery.