6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club

6066 (1960-1966) GMC Truck Club (https://6066gmcclub.com/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Suspension and Brakes (https://6066gmcclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Busted rear shock mount. 62 1/2T (https://6066gmcclub.com/showthread.php?t=48886)

Ancientx June 18th, 2015 02:01 AM

Busted rear shock mount. 62 1/2T

Anybody have an idea where i can find a replacement?
I need the mount that attaches to the frame.
LMC sells a pair, but they're for a lowered truck and idk if those'll work.
I'm doing this from my phone and it won't let me search the site. :/

AZKen June 18th, 2015 04:39 AM

Re: Busted rear shock mount. 62 1/2T

Fab it. If you have one side, mirror it. Upper or lower? Picture of good one?

Ancientx June 19th, 2015 09:06 PM

I don't have access to a welder... I can't weld either. LMC has some upper mounts for relocating. But they're listed for a lowered truck. Somebody must have ran into this issue before me.
The cost of having this (these) fabbed up irks me.
Also, if the one side busted due to age and fatigue, I'd be willing to best the other isn't too far behind.

AZKen June 19th, 2015 09:34 PM

I have a 1960 and 1963 manual and not sure what yours look like. I think I finally squeezed out of you that they are the upper mounts you need. If you can not fab or don't want to fab, let me know. It is possible to fab without a welder, there are many shock mount brackets available which may be modifyable without welding. Many are sold by the 4x4 types. If I see a good pic or two I can advise. The upper seems easier than the lower. If you are looking only for original, put a wanted in the marketplace forum. You may have luck there. Look also on local craigslist to find someone parting. Once you determine which years have the same bracket. I just made some front shock brackets without welding.

FetchMeAPepsi June 20th, 2015 12:21 AM

You can probably get a muffler shop to do it for ya for $20 bucks if you ask nicely. Just drive slow getting there. They weld all the time and it's nothing to slip under there and re-do that for them. Just a thought. :goodluck:

Ancientx June 21st, 2015 09:55 PM

Sorry azken. The upper mount on the frame. Upon closer inspection it may be that i can get a welding shop to weld a new piece on and then drill it. If not I'll be contacting you in the future. :)
On another note the brackets are held in Place by two rivets in the top and one bolt in the bottom. How the h*** does that make any sense. Seems to me, they ought to be all rivets or all bolts.
Guess I'll never understand the mind of automotive engineers.

AZKen June 22nd, 2015 02:21 AM

Could be after thought by factory to add reinforce. Could be no access for rivet tools. Could be something else mounted/used that bolt that needed to be serviced. I've seen other situations like that on trucks. Maybe PO drilled it?
RE fix: Yes, many options. It's not an exact thing. Just provide a place/bolt/stud/hole to mount the shock in approximately the same angle and distance as old one. Be sure shock clears bed structure, etc. I can not advise with confidence until I see what the area and bracket looks like. Don't have that bracket on my 60 4x4.

Onuma June 22nd, 2015 08:47 PM

Fortunately, this sounds like an easy simple fix. Welding is a possibility, but riveting or bolting could be just as good. As long as the steel itself and the joint is structurally sound, the method of fastening really shouldn't matter.

That's one nice thing about not having any wood left in the bed of my truck: all of the rear end, suspension, and exhaust work is clear as day!

*/ I can see for miles and miles... */

Funky61 June 24th, 2015 09:01 PM

Like these from EBay?

121665872885 Item number

AZKen June 24th, 2015 10:16 PM

saw those, they are lower, he needs upper.