View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2013, 02:09 AM

Truck: 1965 Fender Side
carussell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hidden partial VIN on 1965 GMC Pickup frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi View Post
Regulations didn't state that you had to frame (or major part) stamp a vehicle until 1987. Vins were something done by the company not the gob'ment.

Also, Chevrolet's "corporate wide" doesn't apply to GMC, regardless of the parts shared between the separate companies. They were two separate items back then. Like ford and chevy, but both owned by Big Truck Company. They still do their own things and share some parts but they're different trucks until about 1968 if my alzheimers isn't getting in the way of the numbers. That's when Chevy started being made in the same plants and they had a lot more crossover.
From what I can find - VINs were first used in 1954, but between 1954 and 1981, there were no accepted standards; as a result, auto manufacturers used different formats. In 1981, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration required a standardized format for VINs - all road-use vehicles must have a 17 character VIN.

For hidden VINs -

1987: autos from this model year forward - that had "high theft" rates - were required to have 12-14 of their major component parts marked with the VIN.

1994: the standard was amended to include multi-purpose passenger vehicles and light duty trucks.

1997: amended to mark VIN major component parts such as - transmission, front & rear bumper, engine, hood, right & left door, sliding cargo door, right & left quarter panels and side assembly, pickup/cargo box, rear doors & hatchback/deck lid/tailgate. Other common locations for VINs are the upper passenger side of the firewall in the engine compartment, the left hand inner wheel arch, steering column, the radiator support bracket, the machined pad on the front of the engine and on various component parts.

From this I can surmise that VINs were not required before 1981; hidden VINs - full or partial - were not required before 1987. So, GMC very likely did not use them, but we know Chevrolet did. I can only guess that GMC trucks were not a "high theft" vehicle and Chevrolet trucks were. Makes sense to me!?!?

As far as when GMC and Chevrolet followed the same path, I will take your word for it (until I hear something different)!
1965 GMC Fender Side SWB Pickup #1
1965 GMC Fender Side SWB Pickup #2