View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:43 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Hand sanding the radiator bracket was slow and made my spaghetti arms tired. I saw little progress in the deep rust.
So I got out my orbital sander and put 80 grit on it. It didn't do much better.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

So I got out the Speed Blaster gun. You can get it from Amazon for about 45 bucks. It works off of any compressor. I filled it with Black Beauty sanding media.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Then I stapled an old painting sheet to the fence outside. I should have used two or three sheets, but I didn't. This pic is upside down for some reason.

I put on a dust mask and eye protection. After the first 3 minutes I found a pair of gloves too. That sand HURTS!
Then I blasted like a madman. It's like running a crayola or an eraser. It just makes the rust disappear in a quarter sized circle. The sheet was great because all the used media was right there at my feet to re-load in the sandblaster and shoot again.

The only problem is it turned me from a redneck to a black-neck. This stuff was everywhere when I was done.

After blasting I primed and painted with the same high heat paint.
Then three coats of clear.

While it dried I mounted my alternator and found a problem with my painting process on the bolts. Hmph!

Then I put my radiator mount in. I had to take it back out though because it doesn't mount well like this. It's easier to put the radiator into the mount, then set the entire set into the truck slowly.

I don't have pics of me putting the whole radiator in because I had my hands full of radiator. My PP mechanic was inside making brownies for me so I can't blame her either. They was sum good brownies too. If you guys were closer I'd let you try them.

After settling the radiator in and letting it sit on the lower hose I wiggled it around to get the first bolt in on the driver's side at the top. Not snug, but just started on the threads. Some finagling is left to do to get the other bolts in.

Then on the other side I raised it up and put that bolt in snugly.

Then I pulled the radiator hose from under it at the bottom and I put the remaining bolts in, only tightening them after all six were fitting nicely in their threads.

Then I hooked up the lower hose and tightened it down.

Next was the top hose.

Finally the little overflow hose and fill her up with just tapwater while we test it at operating temperature.

After that I started her up and let her run for a few minutes to see if she leaked. After she got warm I took her for a spin for about 20 minutes to make sure. After verifying that my repair job held I cleaned up all my mess and went in for a shower. Let me tell you it felt sooooo good to get to drive her again.

Now I gotta pull the radiator out again to paint it too. And put antifreeze in her. Can't let it run around without antifreeze if I want to keep driving her.