View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2014, 02:52 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 1962 GMC 305V6 4WD Slow DD Build - Cecilia (Pic Heavy)

Today I got 'er finished. A couple of things to note. The expensive $10.00 grease seals I got from Quad4x4.com were quite a bit different than the ones I got from RockAuto, and not in a good way. Take a peek. The rubber-band thin one on the right is from Quad4x4. It's almost HALF the size of the RockAuto one.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Look at the inside here. The one on the left is the RockAuto (good) one.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Notice on the Rock Auto one it has a little spring that goes all around the inner seal too that keeps it on target. Here's the part number again for anyone that needs to replace their grease seal.

CR Services 24898

The second thing I ran into is this silly bushing again. On the passenger side I could hook a finger in and pull the old one out, then just as gently work the new one in. On the driver's side it had disintegrated so removal involved chiseling it out, but putting the new one in - well it didn't fit. I couldn't get it worked down inside it at all.

I finally had to tap it down gently with a hammer but the whole time I thought it was going to shatter and I'd have to buy a new one. I even thought about using my little Willys Jeep bushing from the Dana 25, but I gave that away a long time ago and couldn't scare one up locally.
Are they supposed to be banged in? Or should they just fit?

Anyway that was all she wrote. I got it all buttoned up- Oh wait, one more thing. I got to this point and finished putting the bolts around the spindle thingy:

Then I got the hub installed all the way out to the selector switch...and got so excited I grabbed the tire and slapped it on. The only thing I forgot?

The brake drum!

That first stopping experience would have been fun! Luckily I noticed it laying by the garage door before I got her off the jack. Powder puff ran the lugs back off and we had it back on in record time. Mario Andretti would have been proud of her

That's it for hubs. Now about that engine knock...It got less knock-y after I put some STP Zinc additive in there. I ordered some of that Archoil friction modifier too so we'll see if together they can get Cecilia quiet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.