View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2014, 04:07 PM

Truck: 1964 1500 wideside
MHoyt1964 is on a distinguished road
Default power steering confusion, help to clarify

Hi all,
A while back i posted about a franken truck project i was going to do. I have now started this and perhaps i should explain to clarify. a few years ago i rescued a 67 4x4 BBV6 out of the junk yard. I walked up to it and it had a battery in it and keys in the ignition so i thought what the heck. To my surprise i barely touched the key and it fired right off, ran rough but that is to be expected. Now in the mean time since i didn't get a title with it i found a 67 small window chevy with title, in ok condition so my thinking is to scrap the extremely rusty body off the 4x4 and put the 2wd body on the gmc drive line. I did a compression test on the 4x4 and found real good compression among all 6 cylinders. So now body is off and i want to install a power steering set up i got off another gmc 4x4 in the yard. The question is the manual steering box on the 67 frame delivers the steering action from the side of the box and the set up i got from the donor truck delivers from underneath. The other noticeable issue is the manual box uses 3 bolts to mount and the power box has four bolts to mount. Why is this and will i still be able to use this?
Thanks
Mark Hoyt
Reading Penna.