View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2014, 07:58 PM

Truck: 1964 1500
jrmunn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stuck spark plug

jagarra,

If what just went by in Davis, CA is headed your way, I would have doubts about dry weather tomorrow.

Many years ago, I started working on cars with a Craftsman 1/2 inch socket set, and can't imagine getting the ratchet to jump teeth. The 3/8 inch Craftsman set is much easier to use and has fewer clearance problems, but doesn't seem nearly as strong. I would be careful about using a 3/8 inch drive impact wrench on this without breaking something.

The 305E (if that is what you have) engine plugs have a tall set of threads, but I have never in over 30 years had a problem getting them out. So your thought about cross threading sounds right if it is the correct plug for the engine. I think this means that you will be cutting new threads into either the plug or the head while it comes out, while messing up the other threads, which will probably make things more difficult as the plug comes out. Have you tried going at it a little at a time by alternating between screwing the plug in and out, while getting it a little farther out with each try?

Once the old plug is out, if you need to touch up the threads in the head, be sure to get the tap started right so that the new plug can seat correctly. And the worst outcome would be to break off a super hard tap in the hole.

Good luck. My experience with these old vehicles is that you will succeed in fixing this problem so that you can move on to the next.

JRMunn