View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2015, 06:14 PM

Truck: 1960 Model 1002 Custom Wideside
1960HDGMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Calling All Two-Tones

I have tried to decipher the three lines on my frame. Here they are:
1002&1502STD Easy enough, same frame rail for either 1/2 ton LWB or 3/4 ton LWB, Standard Transmission. Next line: 303598-11 0869 . May be a coincidence, but 11 is the code for the frame in the 1960 GMC Master Parts Book. The 303598 did not appear in the index. 0869 may be the number of the frame rail set completed. Just a guess. The last line is : 9.26.59 That must be the date code for the completed frame rail set, or completed frame. This was most likely painted before the cab went on, as it is pretty tight in there with the cab on. I know the trucks original owner. He told me that he took delivery at the Pontiac Plant in the fall of 1959. It was parked outside. There was close to a foot of snow in the bed. Mr. Grover is 91 now, and he is still mentally sharp as ever. He still owns and opens his Harley dealership daily. This date code and his recollection both serve to reinforce the fact that this was an early production truck. I just wish we had more examples of this painted code on some frames. They seem to be rare, but I bet there are plenty more out there, hiding under 50 years of road crud. I never saw mine until I started cleaning the frame. I almost flipped when I saw the text jumping out of the crud. I cleaned the painted area by hand and taped over the text when we sprayed the frame. Please check your frames. You might get lucky. Please let me know if you do. GM