View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2016, 06:23 AM

Truck: 1963 1000
hubarlow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Link to my video showing shifting without a clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R Leifheit View Post
Depends on the transmission. The stock 3-speed could be upshifted without a clutch, and down from 3 to 2... but downshifting into first isn't advisable without the clutch... no synchros so it -will- grind unless it is really worn. Although I found that even using the clutch into first wasn't always a doable proposition. Usually easier on the transmission to come to a halt first with that one. Which is why I retired so many of my 3-speeds as early as possible.

Thinking about that... I sold the '66 that had a 3-speed, the linkage was still good, nice and tight. Sadly the 3-speeds died in that truck and the kid had to cut the floor out for a 4-speed (toploader). Stupid pan over the transmission wasn't removable in that one. A one-piece stamped floor. All he had to do though was cut on the lines and then one of the tall floor plates sat in there like it was meant to be.

I have done MANY of those conversions over the years on C10 Chevys and the floor pan was designed to do exactly that. Those old pans were interchangeable in those trucks between the 3 speed/th350/powerglide and the 4 speed/th400/four wheel drive pans. The only difference was in the center "hump". The bigger transmissions would have the pan CUT by the factory and nuts would be welded to the floor pan to install the center cover. That is how the bigger transmissions were serviced at the dealer--through the floor. The toploader transmissions and big automatics would remove the pan to remove and install the transmissions.