View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:22 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Stalling out while driving

Ok, new issue that I assume is carb related but I am to far from being any type of expert to know for sure. I had the truck out today (1965 GMC 1000, 305E, stromberg carb, for those who don't know me)and it drove fine on two trips. Then the third trip...to come home...it stalled out while driving down the road. I limped it back to a safe place and this is all I know...

When it does stall out, it typically cranks right back up, with the choke pushed in, after sitting for a minute or two.
However, after multiple restarts to close together (not waiting a minute or two), it will only fire up for a second, but with the choke pulled out instead of pushed in, at which time it revs up for a few seconds then dies...which seems backwards for the choke being pulled out.
Now, on the restarts where I let it sit a minute or two, it fires up with the choke in (70 degrees today) and idles indefinitely (I let it idle for a good 20 minutes at one point) with no abnormal behavior.
Once I start to drive it, best case is about a 100 yards before it has had enough and dies again.
Fuel filter looks good and a neighbor at the old house (that I was trying to move stuff out of today) sprayed it with carb cleaner and blew it out with a compressor just hoping to help the situation. Fuel Pump seems to be getting plenty of fuel to the carb...at least for indefinite idle.
We were both left confused as to the actual source of the problem, so he brought me home and the truck sits loaded with stuff at the old house.

Any tips or advice?

1965 GMC 1000, 305E

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Torino GT, 302
1973 Mach I Mustang, 351W