View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2016, 01:45 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962, 1967
Ed Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura aboutEd Snyder has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Stalling out while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's GMC View Post
I talked with a buddy of mine on a similar issue like that and here is what he said, "Typically those fuel pumps when they go bad will supply enough fuel for an Idle, but when you go to drive and the demand for fuel increases they can't keep up." Sounds to me like a bad fuel pump. Wouldn't surprise me either. Getting it to run On choke is a sign of a lean condition. Could also be some blockage in the fuel line....hole or crack in the line.
I had similar issues one time too, but it turned out to be crud being sucked up against the sock at the end of the fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank. Evidently at low fuel demand (idle) enough stuff would fall off to keep the engine running, but stepping on the gas would suck the stuff back up again.

If replacing your fuel pump doesn't fix the problem, you might check out what's sitting in the bottom of your fuel tank.
1962 K1000 Suburban 401M & SM420
1967 CM1500 pickup 351E & NP435