View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2024, 09:04 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1500, 478 V6, SM420
Prowbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the roughProwbar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Looking for information - Buying a truck

I like the long replies

Seems all these dump truck systems are made by someone in their backyard shed, but that's my very limited take on it.

Nice that you can get replacement parts for cheap over there, I suppose you could use them in the rust belt.

I suspect the 7200 GVW axle is a 14 bolt rear end?

If that truck were mine I'd redo the wiring all over if its all spliced and hacked up like so many of them are. Interesting how such a simple truck can have so many wiring faults
I envy your electrical problem solving skills, though!

For standard small parts, Rockauto is a great website. I use them to get parts over here. What you see on the picture is what you get. If you can find a part in your year/model look in another model of year, most of the times they are there.

Always had a good experience with RockAuto. Using FedEx shipping, I can forward the customs duties, avoiding any unnecessary waiting times. My last few packages arrived blazingly fast, like 2-3 workdays. In my opinion I don't mind waiting a little longer but oh well.

If you every get tired of the (tired) 350, swap in the 351 V6 you were able to purchase! You need a manual bellhousing though. If its for an earlier SM420 the retainer ring needs to be bored out to 5.125" (off the top of my head)
Need a different engine crossmember as well, I suspect your truck has 1 tranny mount at the rear of the trans?

Just a random idea