View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2016, 06:08 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC 3/4 ton
Dazzoman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R Leifheit View Post
Interesting idea. But not correct.
In 1963 only, GMC put an overlay (kind of a "decal" if you will) on some valve covers. Never heard anything about Scots having anything to say about "endorsing" it.

I don't think GMC put 283s in any of their trucks.
And I would guess it would make a difference as to what you want to do with the truck as to what engine to put in there. If you want it to pull or haul (ie. work) then the 305/351 are good choices. A lot of low end torque. If you are using it like a car, then maybe the 350. But why? Put a Chev. drivetrain in it and it isn't really a GMC anymore.
Unless you have a Canadian truck. GMCs built in Canada were, essentially, Chevrolets with GMC badging.
Good point ! I used mine with an camper on it for years so I didn't need the torque even tho I put in a 292 that has an long stroke ....
For your truck it is essential that you (lucky dog) get to justify an 305 . But I keep forgetting that GMC was the ones that "put the bolts on " whereas Chevy just made em. GMC was the industrial division until they were bought out by Chevy or something in 1967 they became one deal .I should be more into the real GMC concept but oh well .
I would get the 305-E which is a tad bigger .
Toms will probably have a core since they have the big 60 series stuff there or an old Cocacola truck or something with that motor in it :0)
Oh and yes I have seen the Scotts valve covers just once back in the 70s and it was very rare .... I am in my 50s now so young man you'll have to believe us old folk when we say we saw it ha ha ha !

Last edited by Dazzoman; December 31st, 2016 at 06:18 PM.