View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2017, 06:31 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Project Blown 305

Found this for ya:

"Heres a little about these motors I leared back in the mid 80's. My grand father gave me his 1965 GMC 1t 4x4 that came with the gas 351c v6. I rembered from a kid that this old truck would out pull anthing and never broke down. The old 351 was getting tired with about 200k on it so i decided to rebuild it and of coarse hop it up. So I started looking into performance imfo on these motors. That put me in contact with Babe Erson. He told me about the gas 478M motor and how with some work the big 478m v6 will easily make more tork and hp than a mildly built 454bbc. So I bougth a 478m motor from the junk yard and went to work per Babe's rec's. The first thing was to throw away the stock 4 ring pistons and masive rods that weight about the same as a complete hemi motor. I had a crank grinder turn the rod journals down to a much smaller size to fit a 426 hemi rod. I had BRC make some new lighter 3 ring pistons that also raised the cr up from 6.5 to 9.0. Engine dynamitics lightened the crankshaft alot and rebalanced every thing for me. Babe made me a special cam and all the vale train parts. I ported the heads and polished the combustion chambers myself. I also made a sheetmetal cross ram intake with 1 850cfm Q Jet carb and a set of home made 1 3/4" headers. Once I got all the tuning done on this motor it was one tork animal that would rev easily to 5.5k. It broke the transfer case right away so I put in a beffier transfer case out of a newer ford truck I think then I blow the old gmc rear end so I upgraded it to a dana 70 with posi. I also upgraded the old truck 4 speed to a newer 5 speed that could be shifted much faster. I had put big 38" tires on this truck and could smoke them in 2nd gear. It did not do to bad on fuel also at about 12 mpg fully loaded with a 10ft camper and pulling a 30ft inclosed trailer running about 65mph. I wish I know where this truck (James) is today as I would try to get him back."

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.