View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2016, 04:01 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: V6 easy to work on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip View Post
I'm going to look at a 66 LWB, fenderside tomorrow. I know it's not running - the lady said "something broke in the engine" and it has been sitting under a barn since.

Question is: Is the V6 fairly easy to work on? For a mechanic, I mean -- not me. (I can build a house, but mechanic work... not so much.)

Are there common items that need to be replaced when the engine is torn down?

Welcome to the forum

Hey man i didnt know anything about motors before I got my GMC. If you can change your oil and have a 1/2", 3/4", and 9/16" wrench you can dang near take the whole truck apart and put it back together without too much trouble. They're super easy to work on if you decide to try yourself, and if you get stuck just pop on here and ask. There's people from all over the country that'll walk you through just about anything you need.

It's a great "hands on" engine. Heck, even the spark plugs are right on top.

For most people "Something went wrong in the engine" is code word for "It won't start". Here's what I'd do with your old motor, but only after you get her home. No sense in driving the price up! Take a jumpbox or a spare battery (or even jumper cables) with you and a can of gas. Get in the truck - but only after lookin under the seat for snakes - then try to turn the engine over (not start!). If it turns over, you might have hope. Check the oil and if that's OK pour about 1 oz of gas in the carb and pull the choke halfway out. See if she fires up. If she does, listen for noises. If you hear anything funny, turn her off. If she doesn't start, at least she still turns over so that greatly improves the chances that it's something small you need to fix.

Though with these motors you can buy a whole spare engine for about $200 on a good day.

Anyway, take lots of pictures and come show us your new baby!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.