View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM

Truck: 1963 1-ton Panel 305E SM420
63_Rouss_Fire_Co_GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: History, Teardown, and Rebuild 63 1-ton panel

Quote:
Jeremy,
Great work and photos! The only problem is that you make it look too easy.
After I took the body off the frame I thought what did I get myself into. I had washed and brushed dirt off a lot before even taking the body off. Only took off the body to get to the frame under the cab. Wanted to do it right and removing the body made it easier to work with the frame. Then it was using a wire brush by hand. I bought some small wire brushes the size of tooth brushes to get into the small/tight areas. Also got some cleaner from work and used that a lot to scrub and brush off dirt and rust. Used a drill with a wire brush wheel on the big areas. I used a lot of brake parts cleaner too, to remove grease and to clean the metal before I painted it. Used the Eastwood rust encapsulator by the can. Then followed that up with the same paint in spray cans to get the hard to reach places. Topcoated with Chassic Black, can the spray bomb.

Trouble I have it body mounts for this truck. It originally used a retangular mount that had a metal plate one one side. Of the 20plus mounts on the truck, 2 or 3 are still good. I found some hard plastic material at work and I cut out and made some mounts. I will see how those work first if not a 70's Blazer mounts are same thickness just wider.

If interested in more photos during the cleaning, painting, or those mounts I have more photos. Just waiting on those cross sills I ordered to show up so see if they will even be close to what was original. Thinking about just goin to the metal shop that I got the gas tank brackets made and get some metal box tubing to replace the cross sills and custom make a rear cross sill.