View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:03 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Replacement Turn Signal Switch for GMC's?

Hey guys - I know this subject has been beat to death way before I got to this problem myself, and I did read Jolly's Electrical page etc, but need to ask for your opinions anyway.
My 66 Suburban turn signal switch seems to work as far as "clicking" into left and right positions, but after checking all electrical connections and grounds and making all that right, the turn signal switch only works in the Right hand position. When I go Left, the turn signal light on the cluster lights up but does not flash. So I have decided repairing or replacing the turn signal switch has to be the answer because the headlights and taillights work, and Right side turn signals work, and the Right side brake light works but it is the only one that comes on when I depress the brake even after ensuring the brake light switch and headlight dimmer switch are new, working and grounded, and the taillights are grounded. I would love to just repair my existing almost-fully-working original switch, so question #1 is: I have a 64-66 Chevy switch brand new in the box, and was wondering if any of you thought I could unplug the harness and plug it into my existing switch and fix it? seems like I remember the two witch types do not interchange wiring harness-wise?

I saw on Jolly's electrical page where a 63 Chevrolet turn signal switch will supposedly work in a GMC switch housing, so I ordered one, but unlike the 64-66 one, this one came with no horn contact or upper column bearing, and the plastic switch body is not the same as the 64-66 one, so despite the two looking so very similar, the horn contact and bearing from the 64-66 switch cannot be used in the 63 plastic body (figures). So I seem to be upside-down here at the moment. Could simply be that I accidentally ordered the wrong 63 switch and did not notice I was getting one with no upper bearing, and simply need to order the upper bearing and horn contact assembly for it.

So I need to know if everyone else is just using these 63 Chevrolet switches, or if there is any hope of me simply using any of the above parts to fix my existing switch, or what - see pics below of the two switches I have.
Last option is to switch to a 64-66 Chevrolet Switch housing on the column, then the new Chevrolet switch would fit and eliminate this problem forever. Maybe that's the ticket - I do have a spare 64-66 factory automatic column switch housing I could use I suppose....thoughts? I hate switching GMC-specific parts out for Chevrolet stuff even though I do like and own several Chevrolet trucks - I just don't like cross pollinating if I don't have to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64-66.JPG (95.9 KB, Multiple views, 28 clicks)
File Type: jpg 1963 switch.JPG (88.7 KB, Multiple views, 22 clicks)

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)