Thread: inline six woes
View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:31 PM

Truck: 1968 HM80 with a 478M and a few engines plus a Toro-Flow
turbobill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: inline six woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Thanks for taking time out to respond. To make sure I don't send advisers off on a goose chase, there are a couple more things worth mentioning:

2. I'm not sure how to test coil function. The friend who re-positioned the dizzy couldn't get #1 plug wire to spark off block. He didn't say why. Just said it should have.

4. The truck came with a power brake booster add-on. Looks like it was meant for the truck - not custom. Do these create vacuum problems if not performing perfectly?

5. It sounds contradictory, but can turning the mixture screw more in counterclockwise direction actually address vibration. It would seem I was going backwards if i make it
more rich.

If I've thrown too much out there, please accept my apology. For now, could you please address coil function, and booster question. The PO had plugged off the vacuum line to booster saying he preferred the feeling of original non-power brakes. I changed booster grommet and put on new hose. I prefer power brakes by far. But, I am now a little suspect about why he really disabled the booster. I'm not throwing any stones right now, but I thought I'd share the last point so I'm not tearing up and replacing things when its in the vacuum system (at booster).

#2 Make sure spark is available at the plug from the wire. If not, the resulting skip will cause the problems you are having. (make sure the plug is good too)

#4 An internally leaking booster will cause enough of a vacuum leak to cause your idle quality problem. Leaks in the line/connections from the engine to the booster will do the same. To test, disconnect and plug at the engine connection first, then work toward the booster.

#5 Turning the idle mixture screw further counterclockwise MAY compensate for a vacuum leak depending on the leaks location and severity, provided the carburetor idle system has enough capacity to compensate.