View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2016, 03:32 PM

Truck: 1966 1500
surfamtn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: clutch help for a dummy

Ok... Sorry for the late update fellas,

But I had successful clutch swap!

Here's what I learned:
The main parts houses have the wrong cluch for our trucks. Napa, Carquest/advanced both were kind enough to open several packs for me and, despite being listed as the right part#, all had the plate with the tall collar that doesn't sit correctly in the bearing and therefor not allowing the plate to snug up to the flywheel. This is significant because all the clutch packs I looked at were the same in their incorrectness. The picture on the O'Rielly site appeared to also show the incorrect plate.

One of the more experienced Napa guys looked at my old plate with me and hypothesized that it had been modified to fit, by grinding down the collar, AND that my fly wheel had been swaped at some point, thus explaining the fit problem. I agree the old plate had been ground down to fit.
I suspect that the fly wheel is original of course, and that their computers are just wrong as usual.

The good news:
With a Google search for the Rhino pack 04-528, which was presumed to be correct based on Fetchmeapepsi's previous thread, I clicked through a few vendors before landing on a site called CarId.com. I had never heard of them before, and was some what skeptical, the were not the cheepest Google listing either, but when I got to the product page I found a pic of the clutch pack and it actually looked correct in the pic! (The bearings are different shapes which is easy to see) Knowing that Internet pictures of parts are often generic I was still skeptical but I ordered anyway.
I ordered some other stuff, unrelated, and noticed that I was receiving split shipments, the second was the clutch and it seemed delayed over their "24hr shipping" so I called them...
I got through to a human rather quick, he was able to tell there was something wrong with the order from the manufacturer which he corrected while I was on hold for 5 minutes. Clutch pack arrived a few days later. Overall I was quite impressed buy the service despite the drop ship hiccup on the back side.
AND.... The clutch was as pictured and Fits like it should.

We are back on the road.

All in all... : the RhinoPack clutch fits, and I would go out of my way to order from this site again, but they don't have too much stuff we need for our trucks.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Ps... I did this clutch job in the driveway by myself. I'm kinda proud of that.