View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2024, 07:38 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
vwgreg is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for information - Buying a truck

This is my first post, great site.

Looking for some information.

In the next couple of days, I’m going to be looking at two trucks, both have flatbeds, duallys, and 4 speeds. One is a 66 which the owner can not take pictures of because he is 90 and the other is a 68 which I have seen pictures of but it needs an up close and personal inspection.

Both of them are in the $2500 range and both of them are 1 ton which will haul what I need to haul - water and waste totes.

The 66 hasn’t run in 24 years, it was parked in a lean too 10 years after the owner bought it to use on his farm, he doesn’t remember why he parked it but it wasn’t mechanical. He mentioned he bought a larger grain truck to use. So I expect the typical mouse house situation and as we discussed it is a Michigan truck with some rust so I am expecting it to be Swiss cheese. He knows it is a v6, his grandson wanted the truck and take the “old crap” out of the truck and put in an LS something. He told him no and decided to sell the truck instead to someone who could use it. He thinks the engine is a 400 cu in engine, so when I get there I will see what it is.

The 68 is about the same but the owner says it has a 351 cu in v6 in it, it looks complete from the images he sent me, a little messed with on the body, it's the same thing - Michigan truck and rust but nothing really bad. He said it has not been started in a long time and never tried so I expect it to be the same as the 66 in the condition of the engine. The owner says there are extra parts to it, the interior looks intact but the images can be deceiving.

Both most likely need brakes and tires. I am going to take the one in the best condition unless I find one for almost nothing (Yes I can dream) that doesn’t need work.

I have owned 67-72 Chevys before, so I am familiar with them but never a the V6 so I am new to them. The better informed I am, the better I can judge the trucks. My Hollenders and my shop manuals are all in storage, so I have to ask others about the trucks because I just do not remember.

1 -any thoughts about these two years of truck? I know the 67-72s have a big following, parts are all over the place it seems but the 66 I am unsure of.

2 - what else should I look for that is unique for a v6 truck?

3 - what transmissions and/or bellhousing works with the V6 engine?

4 - is the clutch hydraulic on these heavier trucks?

Thanks in advance.