View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2016, 06:54 PM

Truck: 1962 GMC 1000 panel truck
Chuck78 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5 speed/o.d. swap comparisons - WC/S10 T5 hybrid, NV4500, A833 MY6, Tremec 3550 Mustang

I didn't have enough time to test the 351 and swap the front covers and all before a vintage motorcycle event that I wanted to drive the truck to (in case I bought more bikes or parts at the swap meet!), so I replaced all 4 freeze plugs on the front and backs of the heads on the 305D as it was suspended over the engine bay, and stuffed it back in. She runs great still now that I can keep the coolant in it! Amazing how deteriorated the old steel freeze plugs were. and how stuck the exhaust manifold to downpipe bolts were. I learned that the heat riser was jammed 20% closed on the pass. side also. Fixed that. Torched off the top nuts on the exhaust manifold to downpipe connections, and re-tapped the bolt threads on that side as the bolts just wouldn't come out in the time that I had.

I did not buy an AX15 yet, but I still believe that to be the preferred transmission for my needs and will be looking for one before October. I may do a fair amount of work to the trucks then and into late fall when the garage is still warm enough. Hope to swap the 351C, AX15, and 89 Suburban front disc brake crossmember all at the same time late October. Maybe get to repairing some rusty cab supports and replacing the body mount cushions then as well. Then hibernate in the basement all winter playing with a new to me metal lathe and milling machine and working on motorcycle project builds in the basement until spring! Next year, bodywork on the 82 VW pickup as my first paint job test piece, then bodywork on the GMC and paint on that! Wife says matte black is the only color allowed... Not certain I'm set on that but we'll see.

An A833 MY6 is also something that I'd jump on, but the AX15 is more likely to be found, and an NV4500 just seems like not much gain over an A833 as I won't use the granny gear first much at all and then I'm just left with a very expensive 4 speed that doesn't do much anything that the A833 MY6 wouldn't do.
*'77-'79 Suzuki GS motorcycles, '76 Rickman CR900 roadracer.
*Dirtbikes: 2 Kawasaki KDX220R's, '77 Suzuki PE250, '83 PE175